Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

CableCARDs for Spectrum TV Plans

luesjo12luesjo12 Posts: 1
in TV Equipment Mar 08, 2021

Hi all,

I used to rent a CableCARD from Spectrum about 2 years ago, but returned it as I did not really have the adequate equipment to use it. Fast forward to now, and I would like to rent one out again, but after visiting the Spectrum store and calling customer support I was turned away as it seems that you aren’t renting CableCARDs for new Spectrum TV plans. After reading the forums a bit, it seems that this isn’t the case so I am very confused.

Is it still possible to rent a CableCARD for Spectrum TV plans? Your online documentation would suggest they are still available, so I’m not sure what your policy is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 09, 2021

Hello!

I have always had an authorized Spectrum box. This is what is recommended over cable cards and tuning adaptors because with a cable card and/or digital tuning adaptor (a.k.a DTA) you are dealing with a third-party configuration that is NOT Spectrum's, so when Spectrum updates the firmware on their equipment you could run into problems, or you could be OK. Cable cards have been hit or miss, mostly miss.

Some packages and channels will not come through without a box. You won't be able to order PPV or On Demand with a cable card or DTA. Some other channels in the upper-level packages, the most popular being Spectrum Silver and the highest level, Spectrum Gold really should have a cable box. Most of Spectrum Select, (Spectrum's lowest level discounted package might come through.) The basic level, Spectrum choice. (Up to 10 channels from a selected list and like $5.00 more per month to stream each premium channel without a box, might be something you might want to look at here.)

How often can a customer change his/her 10 channel options from the list of channels on Spectrum Select?

The answer to the OP's question if I recall correctly is that it depends on package level.

Satch

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 76 MOD
    Mar 12, 2021

Hi Satch!

With the TV Choice package, the channel lineup can be changed once within the first 30 days, but cannot be changed after that.

Cable Cards are available, but you are correct, their compatibility does depend on package in order provide access to the full lineup of subscribed channels.