Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Spectrum Internet on Ethernet with Two Macs?

savonarolasavonarola Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Mar 12, 2021

I have Spectrum internet service with a Spectrum modem. Modem model is ubee TWC (Time Warner Cable?) DVW32C1. It has four Ethernet ports. Port 1 is connected to a Netgear Nighthawk WIFI master. Port 2 is connected to a 13” Macbook Pro early 2015 running OS Catalina 10.15.7 via a Thunderbolt Ethernet connection. Port 3 is connected to a 21” iMac late 2015 running OS Catalina 10.15.7 via standard Ethernet connection.

Both Macs connect to the internet using WIFI. But if I try to connect both Macs with Ethernet, only one of them is able to connect. The other Mac has a self-assigned IP address and cannot connect to the internet using (DHCP).

Originally, the iMac was able to connect to the internet via Ethernet and the laptop wasn’t. I recycled (powered on and off) the Spectrum modem with both Macs shut down. The power was off the modem for at least 45 minutes. After the modem was re powered up, I started the laptop first. The internet via Thunderbolt internet now works on the laptop. But the iMac cannot access the internet via Ethernet.

I tried using DHCP with manual address on the non-working Mac. It gives me a green light and says the Mac is connected with the address, but the internet won’t work.

I haven’t tried this but I think if I do another recycle on the modem and start the iMac first, the problem will move back to the Macbook Pro.

Is there some reason I cannot have two Macs connected to the internet via Ethernet? It seems like the modem memorizes the last Ethernet internet Mac connection, and no matter what I do I cannot get both Macs connected to the internet via Ethernet. I can change them by recycling modem power.

Accepted Answers

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 76 MOD
    Mar 12, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hello @savonarola

As you are using your own router, the Macs would both need to be connected to your Nighthawk in order to properly receive the connection. When opting out of our Spectrum WiFi service, only port 1 on our modems remains active for you to use your own router, the other ports are disabled.

• savonarolasavonarola Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    Mar 13, 2021 Accepted Answer

OK thank you Renee. After reading your comment, I was able to connect both Macs to internet via Ethernet. I plugged the second Mac Ethernet into the Ethernet connection on my Nighthawk satellite which is in the same location as the Macs. The internet via Ethernet now works on both Macs at the same time.

Again thanks.

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 76 MOD
    Mar 13, 2021

You're welcome! I'm glad you were able to get both devices connected. Please feel free to post here if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Enjoy your time on our community!