Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Why does my ethernet switch not work?

cginvacginva Posts: 5 ✭✭
in Connectivity Mar 14, 2021

Spectrum sent me a new modem and router (separate units) to replace my Spectrum all-in-one modem/router. Sequence is as follows: modem>router>TP-Link Deco mesh node.

Everything works, but Spectrum said that since I have my own router, I can send theirs back and knock $5 off my monthly bill. So I bought a TP-Link ethernet switch. This switch replaces the Spectrum router in the chain. The switch indicates that there is throughput, but my mesh node has no internet connectivity. When I put the Spectrum router back in place, all good.

Suggestions?

Replies

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14 Mar 14, 2021

Greetings Cginva - sorry to hear your having connection issues. Would need a little bit more info about your setup for folks to offer help.

There are roughly 14 models of the TP link Deco boxes. Would help some to know what model equipment you have . Also you mention a TP-link switch . Is switch in addition to the TP Link Deco?

In general the idea is disconnect Spectrum router. Take first deco box and plug it in to Spectrum modem.

Power everything off. Wait 10 secs or so and then power Spectrum modem back on. Let it come back all the way up - usually 2-4 mins or so. Then power on that first tplink deco. It should pick up a valid address from the Spectrum modem and give you a working internet connection. You can then add the other deco modules to expand your wifi coverage some.

While I dont know what model deco you have, the steps to make it work and troubleshoot the setup are shown here https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m5/

Kindly let us know if that helps you in the right direction of getting it to work.

• LGTLGT Posts: 123 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 14, 2021

I’m confused here. Are you trying to replace a router with a switch? If so that will not work. A router is a much more complex device than a switch. A router assigns ip addresses for your local network and manages traffic. A switch just connects devices that are on the local network and forwards them to the router.

• cginvacginva Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Mar 14, 2021

I have my own router so I do not need Spectrum’s. Here is the sequencing-

Spectrum modem>Spectrum router>TP-Link Deco mesh node.

I tried to replace Spectrum’s router with my switch because all I am using Spectrum’s router for at this point is a pass through, and I need the extra ethernet ports for my wired connections. I do not need their router I have my own, but I do need the additional ethernet ports and there is only one ethernet port on the modem. Here is the sequencing I am trying to use-

Spectrum modem>my switch>TP-Link Deco mesh node.

Right now all of my ethernet connections plug into the Spectrum router which has four ethernet ports. Trying to replace having to use those ethernet ports with using my own switch’s ethernet ports.

Mar 14, 2021

Thanks for the update Cginva. While we still dont know what model TP link deco you have - in general they are wifi access points that extend wifi coverage. They dont function like a router to share internet across multiple lan ports.

You still have option to keep Spectrum router. They can disable wifi on your account if the monthy charge is a concern. In that scenario you would have Spectrum modem --> Spectrum Router --> Tplink Switch-> Tp LinkDeco for wifi. That would give you multiple working wired ethernet ports and the deco wifi would work as well.

Please let us know how it goes after you have a chance to test that.

Mar 14, 2021

Deco M4

If I keep the Spectrum router in the chain, that negates the need to use my switch. The only functionality the Spectrum router serves is the extra ethernet ports it has. Otherwise it is just a pass through. Curious as to why my switch indicates throughput but when I remove the Spectrum router there is no internet connectivity on my Deco.

My old Spectrum modem was a modem/router combo with four ethernet ports. Not sure why Spectrum now uses separate components and also if you need any ethernet ports, it looks like you are forced to keep the Spectrum router. Also I was told by Spectrum cust svc that I could not just simply disable wifi on the Spectrum router and get a reduction on my monthly bill, I have to send back their router and once they receive it, then they will change my monthly charges.

edited March 14 Mar 14, 2021

Thanks for the update cginva. The clarifications you provided with Deco M4 and number of ethernet ports you need were most helpful.

In general Spectrum provides 2 piece solutions to many accounts with a cable modem and separate router.

There is no extra charge for the router. There is a monthly fee if you decide to use Spectrum wifi.

If you choose not to use Spectrum wifi , they do not charge you for the router or require its return. Wifi is simply disabled on the account so you have option to use what third party wifi solution like the Deco M4 that you choose.

Please let us know if that resolves the issue for you.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 32 MOD
    Mar 14, 2021

@Lake802 thank you so much for helping @cginva out so much. All very good stuff. I do want to clarify one thing though. While you can cancel our wifi service (the $5 charge you mentioned) and the router doesn't have to be returned immediately, we do want the wifi router returned at some point before or at when the account is closed.

And, you are correct on using your own wifi router in that customers can use whatever router or mesh system they would like. We do have a list of authorized modems that are the only ones that can be used with our system, but wifi routers can be anything you would like.

Ok. I will jump back out of the way. Thanks for the great conversation and it is nice to meet you both!

Randy

Mar 15, 2021

I tried plugging the Spectrum modem directly into my Deco but there was no internet connectivity on my Deco. When I hooked back up the Spectrum router everything worked.

PASS: Spectrum modem>Spectrum router>Deco

FAIL: Spectrum modem>Deco

FAIL: Spectrum modem>ethernet switch>Deco

FAIL: Spectrum modem>Deco>ethernet switch

I have not tried this, but would I be able to access the modem (192.168.1.1?) and change any settings that would allow me to either plug the modem directly into my Deco, or use my ethernet switch in lieu of the Spectrum router?

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    edited March 15 Mar 15, 2021

Did you powercycle the modem in between making the changes to the order of the equipment?

In some cases the modem would still be looking for the last connected device. Powercycleing releases that and allows it to pass the IP to the device that is then connected.

I would try again with the Modem>Deco . Unplug the power to both. Plug in the Ethernet. Plug in the power to the modem. Wait 2-3 minutes then the power to the Deco.

Julia

• LGTLGT Posts: 123 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 16, 2021

Ok. After researching the deco m4 it seems in your setup the deco is your router. Therefore the configuration you want is:

Spectrum Modem>Deco>Ethernet Switch

Although this doesn’t help you much because it is not working. The other thing is your Deco should be in router mode, not access point mode. This is the default so unless you changed that should not be the problem.

I think the problem is what @Julia_R alluded too. I think your Spectrum modem is not wanting to give up the MAC address of your old Spectrum router. That is why plugging in the router makes things work. Although a complete power reset is supposed to clear this I have found in the past this does not always work.

A cheap and dirty test of this would be to clone your old Spectrum’s routers MAC address to your deco. The router MAC address should be on a label somewhere on the device. In the deco setup under the router settings advanced options there is a MAC clone option where you can use a custom MAC address. Enable it and enter all those digits save everything and see if that works.

Mar 18, 2021

Fixed one problem, caused another.

After a series of power cycles, everything worked EXCEPT the windows 10 pc I have connected to the switch, it says unidentified network. When I remove the switch and put the Spectrum router back and wire my pc that way, I have internet on my pc.

• dopplegangerdoppleganger Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Mar 19, 2021

I agree that the setup that SHOULD work is:

Spectrum Modem -> Deco IN ROUTER MODE -> Switch -> Devices

My guess is that the switch isn't playing nice with the Deco and is adopting the same management IP as the Deco. What kind of switch are you using, is a "dumb" switch or a managed one?

One way to test this would be to go Spectrum Modem -> Deco in router mode -> PC and see if your PC is grabbing a connection, that way you would at least know where the problem is.