Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Why is upload so low?

ElPasoMikeElPasoMike Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Mar 23, 2021

I have Ultra, and I can’t get above 6mbps upload. I work from home and need the upload to work properly.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,753 ADMIN
    Mar 23, 2021

Hi @ElPasoMike

I was able to locate your account from your registration information. Looks like you have a service call already scheduled. Please let us know if the issue is not resolved after the service call.

• ElPasoMikeElPasoMike Posts: 9 ✭✭✭
    Mar 23, 2021

The tech was here and ‘changed’ the barrels on a few cables, ran speed tests and same results.

He then claimed that my upload speeds are more than half what they are supposed to be because of ‘neighborhood usage’.

He then pointed out that I wouldn’t be charged for the visit?? Left his number and supervisor number and off he went.

so, I’m the same boat with uploads less than 10 mbps.

edited March 24 Mar 24, 2021

I am seeing the correct speed being delivered to the modem. How are you testing the speed? Are you wireless?

Mar 24, 2021

It is via Ethernet direct to the modem. As mentioned, the download is fine,!it’s the upload where the issue is and it fluctuates. It can go as high at 17mbps, and as you saw, in can nose dive. The testing is being done via the ookla speed test. I guess I’ll just have to live with it apparently

Mar 24, 2021

The fluctuation suggests it could also be an issue with the device, such as adware or malware. Do you have another device that you can test on a direct connect?

Mar 24, 2021

I did try different device. My work laptop and desktop, both connected via ethernet. Same result. The tech also saw this when he tested the line.

Mar 24, 2021

Since the issue is not resolved, I would recommend another service call. If you need assistance setting one up, please let us know.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 25, 2021

This is often caused by trouble on the uplink path, usually one or more channels not being decoded at the head end. From a technical point of view, excessive line loss forces the modem to raise its return channel levels above +51 dBmV, then the modem shuts off the bonding. Any return channel level above 49 is the red flag. Start by looking for a corroded or damaged F connector in the drop line, or maintenance should look for a cable or tap housing with water infiltration. Could be overhead, underground, or in a pedestal. .