Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Samsung box multiple issues: On Demand giving Error HL0, no caller ID, Info feature takes forever

CableBillCableBill Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Mar 24, 2021

Hello. I have two of the exact same Samsung cable boxes and one of them has been giving issues for about three weeks now.

1) I can no longer access On Demand, the spinning dots will rotate for a good while until finally giving the "Error: HL0" message.

2) Caller ID no longer displays on screen (I looked under the Call Log and the last time it logged a call was on 3/5/21).

3) Pressing the Info button is now a delayed function. Whereas before it would immediately display the program description, the screen turns gray for a good while before finally displaying the program description (about 10 to 15 seconds before the info appears).

I have gone in the Settings and done the "Reboot Receiver", no improvement. I have also unplugged and unscrewed all of the cords/cables behind the box, then waited 15 minutes and then re-plugged and re-screwed, no improvement. I also see that there are a whole bunch of additional options under Settings>Diagnostics>Box Diagnostics. Is there any one of those options that would help?

What else can I do to fix these issues? I'd really like to exhaust all options before having to take the box to a Spectrum store for replacement. Not sure what's causing this, as the other Samsung box works just fine. I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 24, 2021

Hello,

Most likely, you have a signal issue. The "Error HLO message" for your On Demand is strong evidence of this. We were getting those types of errors on our Cisco 9865 three years ago, missed recordings, "Recording Not Avaliable." Tech came out, found that our cable main line was over 30 years old! He replaced the line, put in a new drop, put in a new outlet, and my box has not missed a recording since! On Demand works perfectly! Our tech did a complete rewiring of the cable in our house.

These issues are 90% of the time signal related caused by old wiring, bad weather, and animal chews,. Don't reboot any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call. Reboots will reset the error codes that the tech reads on his meter back to zero, and you want him to be able to see the codes. When the tech comes out, show him your On Demand issues as well.

Caller ID on TV missing could also be a signal problems. Missing Caller ID is typically not a box issue. I would suspect that your line drop is really old or damaged to such an extent that it can't even pull in the signal to display Caller ID on TV.

Where are the two Samsung cable boxes located? The tech should also examine the cable outlet wiring on the box with the problems. There may be a wiring problem in that particular room causing issues. Tech should also check your basement if applicable to your home. Can you try swapping the room locations of the two boxes, and see if that makes a difference?

First order of business is contacting Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. following my above recommendations. If you swap locations of the two boxes, mention the results of this to your service tech.

Satch

• CableBillCableBill Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Mar 25, 2021

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I live in an apartment community (so no basement) that is 12 years old and well maintained. One box is in my living room and the malfunctioning one is in my bedroom. I'll have to try the box swap when I get a moment and if all else fails I guess I'll have to have a tech come out.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,580 Lead Mod
    Mar 25, 2021

Before swapping the box I would have you check all of those cable ends. Make sure they look good, no corrosion, and that they are very tight. If they are connected to a splitter we would want a visual inspection

of those as well. Make sure all is tight and looks shiny, no damage etc.

Another thing you can try to see if it is the box or the location is to swap the boxes. Put the box that has not been functioning well in the location where the other box has been working well. If you still see issues then you can surmise that it is equipment that is the problem. If not then we would recommend a visit from a tech to further investigate.

Julia_R

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 27, 2021

Hello @JJK1954,

For the newest hardware for CATV services, you would need a new Spectrum World Box. (No Clock.)

Satch