Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Consistently slow upload speed for the past week.

bchaittbchaitt Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
edited August 5 in Internet 2021 Archive Mar 25, 2021

Starting 3/18, I have been unable to live broadcast at all due to slow upload speeds. My download speeds have not been affected. I am on the 400/20 plan and have always connected my PC via Ethernet

Since the issue started, I have used multiple high-spec PC's to test my speed connected directly to the modem. I have swapped all ethernet cables to brand new ones. I also disabled all firewalls to check if that was the culprit. All firmware/drivers are up to date as well. I tested the connection over multiple VPN services as well but still had slow upload speeds.

I reset and provisioned different modems (Netgear CM500 and SB6190) with a Spectrum CSR but this did not help either. We scheduled a tech visit on 3/22.

The tech came out and stated the issue is most likely up the street as everything looks fine from the tap to my PC. He said he was going to escalate to "maintenance" and it would be looked into further in 1-2 days.

Queue this morning, 3/24. I get a follow-up call from Spectrum asking about the technician visit. The CSR states there was not any escalation sent regarding my issues. The agent proceeded to schedule an additional tech visit for Friday 3/26. The rep stated they wanted a more experienced technician to look at the issue before troubleshooting further up the line. Somewhat understandable, the first tech was barely in the house and spent most of his time on the pole.

So this is where I am at currently with the troubleshooting process. If any other information is needed, please ask and I will do my best. I am hoping that maybe there is something wrong with on my end that I have overlooked. Many screenshots below.

Brendan

---

Best Answer

• bchaittbchaitt Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Mar 27, 2021 Accepted Answer

Thanks for the reply

The issue has been resolved (so far) since Thursday. I ran a test around 7PM and noticed the upload was restored much closer to the max advertised speed (20Mbs). I did not experience any packet loss or issues for the remainder of the night.

The Spectrum tech was here today and mentioned that the issue could have been fixed by a maintenance request, but that they were unable to see the logs or work notes to confirm. They also mentioned that it could have been due to network congestion or throttling (I assume in reference to Spectrum's "Internet Acceptable Use Policy" Section 5). Regarding the modem timeouts, they mentioned that everyone has been experiencing them since March of 2020.

The upload speed has been better tonight so far. I haven't experienced any packet loss or slower upload speeds since.

The issue lasted from 3/18 to 3/25. I will update this post if I experience similar issues.

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Mar 26, 2021

Hello @bchaitt and welcome to the Spectrum Community!

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing slow upload speeds. I took a look at the logs you posted and it does look like the modem is timing out quite a bit. That could be the likely cause of the slow speed issues.

Once the appointment is completed today, could you follow up with us here and let us know how things went? If need be, we can gather some information from you and continue to troubleshoot.

Thank you.

Paul B.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Mar 27, 2021

That sounds great. We are always here if you do need further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.