Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Tips: Manually changing DRM settings on watch.spectrum.net (Microsoft Edge)

ClarkeBeagleClarkeBeagle Posts: 7
edited April 5 in watch.spectrum.net Mar 26, 2021

I wanted to provide an update on a previous post I made regarding watch.spectrum.net but since the topic was closed, I can't reply to it. I have found out that the issue is watch.spectrum.net not recognizing the new Microsoft Edge browser as a chromium-based browser. The problem that is causing is the DRM requirements for watch.spectrum.net are not being implemented, hence the stream failing during or immediately after a commercial.

The fix was to manually change Edge DRM settings by going to edge://flags but it looks like Microsoft has implimented something in Edge that works around Spectrum's problem.

At my wits end with watch.spectrum.net

edited January 5 Jun 06, 2020

I am at my wits end with watch.spectrum.net. Whenever I am trying to watch TV and there is a commercial break, after the second commercial, the video just stops. I have to refresh the page, which brings me back to channel 1, then I have to switch back to the channel I was watching. When the next commercial break plays, I have to do this all over again. The website is unusable. 

I am using the new Chromium based Microsoft Edge browser which is fully up to date. I have tried:

• Clearing cache and temporary files
  • disabling my add blocker
  • resetting the browser
  • doing a factory reset on the computer
  • rebooting my router, modem, and cable box

Spectrum support has been of no help either. I have this problem on multiple devices so I honestly don't think my computer or software is the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 27, 2021

Hello,

Confused, so you are saying that the Edge DRM settings solved the problem? If not, I would suggest the following:

Does the same issue happen on a different computer? What Operating System are you using, Windows 10?

Have you tried a different browser?

For me, it has always been that my little 4GB RAM Toshiba laptop can't handle Spectrum TV. net. Buffering audio and video. Edge works on the laptop just fine,

On my 8 GB Desktop from Dell, both browsers play Spectrum TV. net fine. Have you also enabled Hardware Acceleration in Edge?

If you are running Windows 10, you may also want to check for Windows updates and install them. You don't need to install the optional feature updates if offered, just the main patch Tuesday security updates.

I would recommend a PC with at least 8GB of RAM to watch Spectrum TV.net

Satch

• catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Mar 28, 2021

I often have buffering problems with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera that needs constant reloading of the stream. Not surprising since they all are based on the open-source Chromium Browser. Yesterday I tried Firefox and "knock wood" it worked so you might want to give it a try.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭✭
    Mar 28, 2021

Interesting.

Firefox on the 4GB laptop freezes and buffers. Fine on the 8GB desktop for Spectrum TV. Both Edge-Chromium and Firefox work fine on the desktop for Spectrum TV. Could also be that the desktop with 8GB GB RAM is next to the modem/router. The laptop with 4GB of RAM is on the other end of the house.

Satch

• catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Mar 28, 2021

A couple of more things to try, although they didn't work for me:

1. Disable all extensions.
    2. Try the browser's Incognito/Private mode. Note: if an extension was given permission to run in Incognito/Private mode, temporally disable the permissions
This discussion has been closed.