Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Remove WPA from 2.4Ghz wireless band

Parish_AdminParish_Admin Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
in Connectivity Mar 30, 2021

We have an Arris Touchstone TG1672 by Motorola for our wireless modem. (I think.) There's also a Ruckus ZoneFlex R500 in the mix.

When we first installed the unit, we made the 2.4GHz band open and 5GHz band closed. Now, for some reason, the 2.4GHz band is also closed and requires a password. We want the 2.4GHz band open so our members can have internet access. The Arris will not allow us to turn off the WPA security for the 2.4GHz band.

Now the weird part. When we sniff the wireless we have TWO 2.4GHz networks, one open and with an extremely weak signal and the other closed with a very strong signal. Confusing, eh?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,753 ADMIN
    Mar 30, 2021

Hi,

The Ruckus is intended to be a WiFi hotspot for public use and there will be a public 2.4GHz connection that is open. The Arris will also broadcast a 2.4GHz network, however this is your private network and should remain password protected for network security. We have a separate team that provides support for HotSpots, they can be reached at 1-888-851-9350 and can troubleshoot issues with the HotSpot.   

Thanks!

• Parish_AdminParish_Admin Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
    Mar 30, 2021

Thank you. We had not been told that before. And since the Arris keeps saying if updating and won't open, I guess it's good the Ruckus is the open wireless. Now if we could just access it. We'll give the gang at Hot Shots, I mean, HotSpots a shout.