Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Lost open wifi network

Parish_AdminParish_Admin Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
in Home Networking Mar 31, 2021

Up until a couple weeks ago we had our 2.4GHz wifi as an open network, and the 5GHz as password protected. For some reason both bands are now password protected. We could use the Ruckus R500 wifi but that forces the users to use their spectrum user name and password which won't really work as are area has Spectrum, AT&T, Frontier, and Cincinnati Bell.

Why did our wireless cease being open which it had been since we installed Spectrum in 2019?

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 305 MOD
    Apr 02, 2021

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry that your peers have not jumped in to lend a hand. We usually recommend that you keep your entire network secure. Have you tried to remove the password to see if it will allow you to set it back to your desired setting?

• Parish_AdminParish_Admin Posts: 15 ✭✭✭
    Apr 02, 2021

I changed the password to a something easy. Apparently the Arris routers are hard coded to require passwords now. As I originally wrote, when I configured the two wireless bands I made the 5GHz band password protected so our staff could have somewhat secure wireless access and the 2.4GHz open so our parishioners and outside groups wouldn't have any problems connecting to the internet. Our dream is to have our worship bulletins online so people can grab them electronically during services.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 305 MOD
    Apr 02, 2021

Thank you for letting me know. If you have any further questions, please feel free to post again in this topic.

Thank you.

Paul_B

Apr 08, 2021

The problem we have now is the 2.4GHz band will NOT allow access to the internet. What good is a network router if you can't use it to connect to a network? Scuttlebutt has it the router won't allow access because the 2.4GHz band is what wi-fi, bluetooth and who knows what else use. And not everyone here has a spectrum account so the spectrum app on the ruckus r500 is pretty much worthless for those using ATT, Cincinnati Bell, Frontier, Earthlink, Mediacom, EIN, etc.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    Apr 10, 2021

Hello!

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. In my experience it would be the Ruckus that would be used widely by the visitors, the other router would be for office use. In most cases the 2.4 GHz is slower but does extend further than the 5G signal. The 5GHz has more trouble going through obstructions but is not as prone to interference from surrounding walls/furniture and other devices that use the same connection as the 2.4.

Normally we do not provide Ruckus equipment to residential accounts. I do encourage you to speak with a

business class agent. It sounds like we may need to replace the modem/router you are using and maintain the Ruckus but with some changes to how it is being used. Those are used in places that provide open access and in some cases have a Splash page where others can login using the info you can provide. Many places like Tire Shops etc will have a placard in the facility that gives that information out.

1-866-892-4249 should get you to the right place!

Let us know how things go!

Julia_R

Apr 12, 2021

The problem we're having is we have no idea what the username and password are on the Ruckus. What we were told doesn't work.

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    Yesterday 3:29pm

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with that. The support team should be able to reset that for you and walk you through testing it.

If what they have reset it to does not work it would be a good idea to have a technician out to look into things further.

Julia_R