Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Attempting to watch TV via FireFox browser, and get studder of video and audio because of buffering?

SchorschiSchorschi Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

Attempting to watch TV via FireFox browser, and get studder of video and audio because of buffering?

I am using a browser and LiveTV site. https://watch.spectrum.net/livetv

Issue is not specific to browser, happens with Edge, FireFox, Chrome, etc.

I am a 30+ year career in IT, now retired, so no need to avoid technical short-cuts.

Have rebooted cable model, router, and all connections are wired, no wifi is being used. Entire wired network is 1 gig. PC being used rebooted as well, same PC used for last 2 years with no issues, running Windows 10 updated, 16G RAM, 3.0 GHz AMD processor, high end video cards (AMD), so sufficient resources for typical web streaming

Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc., exhibit no issues at all, it is only Spectrum Live TV via browser showing issue.

This issue is recent as of the last few days, has been working fine for years. No changes in equipment or configuration of same, issue does not seem to be related to the DOCSIS 3.x updates, since that was weeks ago, if memory serves.

Typical buffering is a second or two, about every 45 to 60 seconds, sometimes is longer, about 3 to 5 seconds. The issue happens consistently regardless of time of day.

Testing of speed, via web sites (various) and spectrum official speed test shows 220-230 down and 11-12 up, consistently.

Attached images show cable modem statistics and log.

Log shows T4 on March 29, but nothing since of note, and that is well before this issue started, a few days ago. Statistics appear good, SNR and down/up stream levels within norms as I understand them.

Given this not browser specific, and not service specific... gaming is fine, other streaming services fine, I just conclude this is something that is failing with the Live TV service of Spectrum or something related only to how Live TV functions?

Suggestions welcome.

Tagged:

Replies

• SchorschiSchorschi Posts: 11 ✭✭✭
    Apr 08, 2021

Additional information.... I have also noticed that when the buffering happens, most of the time the stream REPEATS. Yes, repeats, the seconds buffered are REPLAYED. The plugin/player makes anyone speaking sound like they are a studdering or hiccuping..

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,579 Lead Mod
    Apr 08, 2021

Hello!

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this. What you describe would normally be related to a low bitrate.

Do you notice the issue on multiple different devices? What happens if you bypass your router? For testing we would encourage you to do that. Please make sure to powercycle the modem once you have changed that,

Julia_R

• SchorschiSchorschi Posts: 11 ✭✭✭
    edited April 9 Apr 09, 2021

I have an enterprise level router, use no wifi at all. House internal network is 1G. Everything is hard wired. I have already tried bypass of the router, it had no effect, the random short buffering still happens. Frankly, given my modem statistics are good, solid, gaming and other streaming services are fine, consistent, I was not surprised the issue continues via direct modem connection.

What I find interesting is that, if Spectrum browser live TV would just allow configuration of the plugin used, or configuration of the codecs applicable, so that buffering could be increased, that would address the issue.

Moreover, today I saw obvious pixelation of the video image at times as well just after the buffering takes place, as the timing attempts to adjust, so clearly the service source has some real issues. Especially in that this is happening recently, for months no issues, but after migration to DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 and the so called speed/bandwidth increase at no charge, this results. What else did Spectrum change at the back end?

My 30 years of IT experience guide my conclusion that Spectrum has not prioritized web TV service, at their end. I suspect this is a QoS or similar issue. If it was general data performance issue, or bottleneck, I would see gaming and other streaming services impacted, yes, of course I would.