Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

How to resolve IMAP error when installing Outlook and setting up Spectrum email account?

swiftjettaswiftjetta Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
edited April 23 in Email Apr 23, 2021

Protocol = IMAP

Incoming email:

Server = mail.twc.com / Port = 993 / Encryption Options = SSL/TLS or STARTTLS or Auto or None,

Must select Auto, otherwise it fails immediately.

Outgoing email:

Server = mail.twc.com / Port = 587 / Encryption (same as incoming, select Auto)

When I select to Connect, Outlook says is is adding my email account and after 3-5 minutes, I receive error message: "Something went wrong. The connection to the incoming IMAP server was dropped. Please check the incoming IMAP server settings and try again."

Spectrum Support confirmed settings and recommended I contact MS. However, error indicates that Spectum IMAP incoming server is dropping the call.

Replies

• swiftjettaswiftjetta Posts: 16 ✭✭✭
    Apr 23, 2021

Confirmation of proper settings which FAIL to FUNCTION.

Apr 23, 2021

Outlook 2019 with a TWC account. All setting 100% accurate.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 56 MOD
    Apr 25, 2021

Thank you @swiftjetta for bringing this to the Community's attention and we would be glad to help. In your screenshot I don't see the encryption method selected. SSL must be turned on according to our support page at https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/spectrum-email-server-settings/. We also just had a business account with similar issues (with Outlook) that configured their encryption method differently for each server: https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/168877/the-answer-for-spectrum-business-email-using-outlook#latest ... I wouldn't encourage you to use the business servers mentioned in that post if this is a residential account but the encryption settings they set may be what Outlook is requiring for all accounts. The other discussion linked has the incoming encryption as ssl/tls and outgoing as starttls

AND a huge thank you for the screenshots; very helpful and smart on obscuring your email address. Really appreciate that.

Give those encryption settings a shot and let us know how it goes!

Randy

Apr 26, 2021
    Apr 26, 2021
  • Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 56 MOD
    Apr 26, 2021

Thank you. Did you get the same error with the outgoing server changed to starttls encryption?

Apr 27, 2021

When selecting starttls, it sits for several minutes and then I receive this error.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,786 ADMIN
    Apr 27, 2021

Are you able to access email through Spectrum Webmail?

Apr 27, 2021

Yes

Apr 27, 2021

Thanks. The next steps would include changing the password to reset authentication with the third party app.

Apr 27, 2021

How does one perform this action?

Apr 27, 2021

You can reset the password at self.rr.com or you can select "forgot email password" from the Spectrum Webmail login page. I included a link with additional instructions.

Changing Your Email Password or Resetting a Forgotten Email Password

Apr 27, 2021

self.rr.com does not resolve to a proper website. I don't have access to my mac address as the gateway is installed in my rental property. The link above also references subscriber self care, which puts me to a page to "manage my account" this only changes the password to the portal in which I, "manage my account." I don't understand how changing my password, will resolve the IMAP reset connection, as I know my password and can authenticate to webmail. Other users report the same issue and advise it works in Thunderbird and all other versions of Outlook. Have you verified this TWC domain works with Outlook 2019 in your test environment?

edited April 27 Apr 27, 2021

There is a link to subscriber self care in the support link provided. You will need to log in with your email credentials. From there, select the three ellipses and select “reset password”. Logging with your account credentials will take you to manage your account. Changing the password resets the authentication and usually resolves most issues. Have you also tried contacting Outlook support?

Apr 28, 2021

Subscriber self care brings me here: https://selfcare.rr.com/index.cfm?method=login.login

Where do I login with my "email credentials?"

Apr 28, 2021

Sorry about that, looks like the link directs to the page footer. Here is the correct link: https://selfcare.rr.com/login

Apr 28, 2021

Do you mean "update password?"

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 320 MOD
    Apr 30, 2021

That is correct. Please try to update the password to see if that changes anything.

Thank you.

Paul B.

May 01, 2021

Changing the password did not change the situation. Previously it was mentioned to "changing the password to reset authentication with the third party app." This process which was just performed via a web access interface, doesn't seem to reflect that. Please advise.

May 01, 2021

Thank you for trying that. The only other thing I can think of to try as a test is to set the encryption to None if you haven't tried that already.

Also, are you currently at home when you are setting this up?

Thank you.

Paul B.

May 03, 2021

Yes my house. What specific setting are you referring to? Have you tried these setting in your test environment?

May 07, 2021

Good morning -

I have tested these settings in Outlook and it worked without an issue. At this point, I would recommend reaching out to the computer manufacturer or Microsoft as the settings you are using should work without an issue. I am wondering if there is something interfering with Outlook that is causing these settings to fail.

Paul B.

May 07, 2021

Just to confirm, you tested both with a legacy Time Warner (@twc.com) account, and Outlook 2019?

May 07, 2021

I do not have access to Outlook 2019, however, I did test with Outlook 2016. The account that was tested was a legacy Time Warner account, however, the domain that was tested a Roadrunner.com address.

May 07, 2021

The TWC account works fine with Outlook 2016...

May 08, 2021

At this point, I would recommend contacting Microsoft or the computer manufacturer to see what could be causing this issue. There really are no major differences between Outlook 2016 and 2019 that would cause the settings to consistently fail like they are. The settings would be the same and this configuration should be working as it does in Outlook 2016.

Paul B.

Yesterday 10:57am

Other users experience the same thing. Until you actually test it with the same domain and same software you can't assume its an issue with the computer or program. I've tested it on three different machines. Microsoft simply will say the server is dropping a connection.