Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

How to troubleshoot livestreaming to Twitch.tv

SunnyKSunnyK Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 28 in Connectivity Apr 24, 2021

I occasionally livestream to Twitch.tv and have done so for over a year now without any major issues, but recently, as of around 15 days ago, I have been constantly dropping frames on OBS. While using dynamic bitrate, I have dropped bitrate constantly. I should be able to stream at a constant 6000kb/s, but now it will drop to zero or fluctuate anywhere from 1000 to 5000, only sometimes staying stable at 6000. I don't know if this is an issue anyone else has faced.

I contacted support on the phone, but they said they couldn't identify any issues. I'm not sure if the problem is with my router, modem, or any wires, but I have run out of ideas. It could be spectrum's connection to Twitch servers upstream, but I am in the dark as of now.

Sometimes, I will drop connection to twitch servers entirely. I have tried several different servers on their end. However, while this happens, anything else I am connected still works. I will be able to play a video game online with zero issues while this happens. Doing speed tests, I still get good enough upload, at least 15-25 mbps, which has been fine up until recently. There has to be an issue out of my hands for something like this, but I cannot identify what it is.

Best Answer

• Lake802Lake802 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Apr 28, 2021 Accepted Answer

Greetings SunnyK and Travin . Sorry to hear you are having streaming issues with twitch.

The twitch folks are not a Spectrum service but have pretty good website explaining things you can try to address the specific issues you are observing.

Broadcasting Guidelines (Encoding, Bitrate, Resolution , Framerate explained some here:

https://stream.twitch.tv/encoding/

Ingest points - Recommended Ingest Endpoints For You. These ingests endpoints are selected for you based on the optimal network paths detected from Twitch to your device

https://stream.twitch.tv/ingests/

Inspector analyzes and assists in the troubleshooting of internet connection or encoder related issues while broadcasting to Twitch

https://inspector.twitch.tv/#//

Please let us know if reviewing those 3 areas with Twitch support folks resolves the issue for you.

Replies

• TravinTravin Posts: 1
    Apr 24, 2021

We are encountering the same thing. If we lower the bitrate to 3k then things stabilize. Really odd considering we have been able to stream at 6k for months.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 320 MOD
    Apr 24, 2021

Hello @SunnyK and @Travin! Welcome to the Spectrum Community!

What types of troubleshooting have you done to try to get to the bottom of the issue? When you are streaming, are you using a wired Ethernet or wireless connection?

• SunnyKSunnyK Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Apr 25, 2021

@Paul_B Yes I am using a wired Ethernet connection. I still have not figure out the issue, but I have tried several steps. I figured it would be my router, so I connected my pc directly to my modem and still have bitrate drops. I have tried doing test streams on youtube and another site, angelthump, and my bitrate seems to drop on those as well. I have also gotten the same result on two different routers I have set up now, so it must be an issue with spectrum itself, but when I contact spectrum, they tell me everything is running normally.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,786 ADMIN
    Apr 27, 2021

Have you tried restarting the modem? Restarting the modem usually resolves most issues.