Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Internet speeds slower with new Spectrum modem

gobama84gobama84 Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited May 2 in Community Follow Up Apr 30, 2021

I received a letter from Spectrum saying they had increased my internet speed (at no price increase) from 100Mbps to 200Mbps and I needed a new modem (free) to be sent to me. Received and installed the new modem. Now my top speed is 97Mbps where before, with the older modem, it was averaging 110M.

I am supposed to return the older modem, but wonder if I should just reinstall it and send the new modem back. Why would anyone want slower speeds?

Any ideas?

Tagged:

Replies

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30 Apr 30, 2021

Yiou are not required to use the modem that Spectrum provides to you free of charge. You are permitted to purchase manage,and maintain your own device IF it is on the list of devices approved by Spectrum for customer connection. That list is found at Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network | Spectrum Support

Be sure the approved download speed of your COAM modem is greater than your internet service tier. Also note that an eMTA modem used for combined home telephone and internet service provided by Spectrum will not have modem devices approved for customer instaalation., nor do the highest tier (gigabit) internet speed connections.

• LGTLGT Posts: 125 ✭✭✭✭
    Apr 30, 2021

I think what he is saying is the speed with his old Spectrum supplied modem is faster than the speed with his new Spectrum supplied modem. I don't think he wants to purchase his own modem.

If you are not getting the speed that Spectrum promises you, you should call them. 97Mbps or 110Mbps down is terrible if they are promising you 200 Mbps down. You should see around 220 since they put in a cushion generally. There could be a line problem or a provisioning problem, but only they can fix that. You should also make sure that all of the wiring in your house is up to snuff and there are no unterminated cables and your internet modem is on the first splitter if you have TV along with internet.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 56 MOD
    May 02, 2021

Good morning @gobama84 !

Thank you for letting us know about your experience so we can get you up to speed. I would not hook the older modem back up because it is considered outdated being phased out. That said, the advice given by @karlbeckman about getting your own authorized modem is a valid option and @LGT is on point too. So considering the new modem may be exposing existing issues, I will send you a message to get your account information so I can take a look and see how best to get the speed we are providing you.. Will send the message in the next few minutes.

Randy

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 56 MOD
    May 03, 2021

@gobama84 we sent you a message via the private messaging here via the Spectrum Community. If you click on the envelope icon in the upper left of the window here, you should see it.