Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Audio issue on DVR recorded programs

Dglass4321Dglass4321 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 4 in TV Equipment May 04, 2021

I've been successfully recording CBS shows on my DVR but a few weeks ago the voices became so muted you can't hear dialog. The background sound (music, sound effects etc) are fine. It is just spoken word that can't be heard. It seems to only be happening on CBS shows. I checked On Demand and the voices are fine. I already reset the DVR and that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 98 MOD
    May 04, 2021

Hello @Dglass4321

Welcome to our community! I'm sorry to hear about the DVR issues. Have you noticed any issues with the audio when watching live TV on CBS as well or does it only seem to be on the recordings?

• Dglass4321Dglass4321 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    May 04, 2021

Only on recordings. We watched CBS On Demand last night and the sound was perfect.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4 May 04, 2021

Hello,

I would say, call Spectrum to ask for a truck roll to do a signal and drop line test for that channel. You will need a tech to come out to do this test, where he will need to check the signal levels for your CBS channel. To prepare for this test, try to avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers, for at least six hours prior to your tech's visit.

Than, when your tech comes, tune to the problematic CBS channel. If your signals are good, and since this is only happening on CBS recordings, the tech might need to replace the box. A box swap alone will never solve bad signal levels or line problems, so the tech has to check these first.

The tech's investigation might also be able to determine if there is a localized problem with CBS in your market. Another option might be to PM any one of our mods with your account information to ask if there are any open tickets regarding problems with CBS in your area? If you have neighbors with Spectrum CATV services, you can also ask them if they have muted voices on CBS.

My thinking is that this is either a signal or line problem, or an issue in your node. Post back!

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    May 06, 2021

Good Morning!

I would like to ask if you are also seeing this with any Video On Demand Programs.

If the sound is solid on live tv i would have to say it is an equipment problem. If there were signals

out of range generally you would see that on live tv as well. You can go and swap the box out if you would like to test the equipment theory. Just make sure the connections are just slightly tighter than you can do with your hand, make sure not to over tighten though.

If you do decide to go with a visit we would love to have you follow up with us here, let us know what you find.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    May 06, 2021

Hi Julia,

I always recommend that customers do a tech visit before going out to swap boxes, because the tech can do more to check for other issues that may relate to the problem. I also recommend hanging on to your boxes for as long as you can! You never know what a tech is going to have on his truck, or what a cable store is going to have in inventory.

I have seen cases with only one or two channels affected by signals or line issues. But many many general populations may not notice a difference, or do anything for just one channel.Excellent advice for checking On Demand shows, as these can be the most sensitive to signal issues!

Yes, OP should post back with a follow up on what is done.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.