Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

BBC America audio cutting out

EA612EA612 Posts: 1
in TV Equipment May 07, 2021

Ok, I saw this was already brought up over a year ago on these boards, but the discussion has been closed with zero resolution. We will attempt to watch BBC America and the audio will cut out for 1-3 seconds at a time, often multiple times a minute. The commercials don't have this problem. We haven't noticed it on any other channel.

Has anyone found a solution? Or is Spectrum just telling everybody "tough luck"? Thanks!

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭✭
    May 07, 2021

Hello and welcome!

When it is one channel like this, you will need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. Don't reboot anything for six hours, prior to your service call. Than, tune to BBC America when the tech is there so he can take a signal reading of that channel.

If the problem is isolated to your drop line or wiring, which sounds like this is the case, the ONLY resolution will be a tech visit. Box swaps won't solve bad signals. Nothing will likely happen without a tech visit.

Spectrum needs at least three people to report on the same issue to escalate a trouble ticket. Six people reporting the same thing, will trigger auto dispatch. Complete service outages are always given highest priority.

Satch

• Jeff_NFJeff_NF Posts: 1
    May 11, 2021

Yes I get the same thing in Niagara Falls. Only BBCA, never during commercial. No video issue, the audio just cuts out for a second at random times. And it's been like this for years. I read a response at some random board a long time ago that someone believes it's related to the audio compression used specifically by BBCA. And though a second drop may not sound like much it becomes very annoying when they add up. Might try counting the drops next time Doctor Who is showing new shows.

edited May 11 May 11, 2021

Guys,

I would contact BBC on Twitter here:

Let them know about this one second drop out for your area on their channel. They should escalate this to their engineering team.

Additionally,

This link is a direct Contact Form for BBC America:

https://www.bbcamerica.com/contact-us

Note that if you contact them via Twitter, I would recommend following their Twitter account so you can send Direct Messages, if you are affected by this issue.

Satch

• tppoveromotppoveromo Posts: 1
    May 16, 2021

very bad issue BBC America audio drops out every 30 seconds what a shame spectrum should do something

May 16, 2021

Hello, @tppoveromo ,

You will need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test. Follow my above recommendations. Spectrum needs at least three people in the same area to escalate a issue, and six or more people in the same area to report an issue for auto escalation,

If those conditions do not apply, you will have to have Spectrum come out and check your signals and drop line while tuned to BBC America. Don't reboot any equipment for at least six hours prior to your tech's visit to give the tech the best signal reading.

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    May 16, 2021

Good afternoon.

I would definitely want to have your account reviewed. There are multiple things that could

cause this to happen. One is of course a problem with the feed. Others might be that

there is a problem with the connection. The modern cable boxes have an internal modem, we can look into diagnostics much the same way we would for your Internet modem. We would want to find out

what the signal levels look like, if we see any problems with how the information is received by the device. We can also check to see if there are any timeouts or if the cable box is dropping connection with us. Even a very slight timeout can cause channels to have audio as well as picture quality issues.

All of that being said, there are a few things you can do on your side to look for issues. First would be to check out the coaxial ends, what are they connecting to? A splitter or a coax wall outlet? Are all of those connections tight? Do the metal ends looks shiny and new or old and maybe corroded? How do any splitters look, if you have any? We would want to look into the coax its self. Do you see any areas that are damaged, have severe bends or tight curves?

Other things to review, since all of the service in the house comes in at a single point. Are you having any issues with other cable boxes? How about Internet if that is also through us. What speed are you signed up for and are you seeing that speed? Do you notice problems any specific time of day more than other times?

If you can get back to us with some information about your findings that would be really helpful in trying to determine where to go from here.

Julia _R

This discussion has been closed.