Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Spectrum Smart TV and Cable Box Turn on Configuration

SatchSatch Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭
in TV Equipment May 10, 2021

Guys,

New to the Smart TV technology, even though I have been around cable TV since 1985. Let's say that you aren't watching CATV, but you are watching an APP like Netflix or something. Now, I don't mean Netflix that is available in some markets on the World Boxes, I mean you are in the Smart TV Hub watching Netflix or the app of your choosing.

When you turn off the TV and than turn it back on, are you put back into "Cable Mode" where you will see the Spectrum Cable Guide when your TV and box are turned back on? (Assume that you have the System or All Power button on your remote programmed to control the cable box and remote at the same time.?) Or, when the TV and box are turned back on, will the user still be in the App Hub mode, watching whatever it was when the TV was last turned off?

I ask this because we have an elderly person in the family, and I need to know if I am watching an App in the Smart Hub on the TV, do I have to go back to the Cable TV Spectrum icon to be in "Cable Mode" before turning the TV off? Or when All Power is pressed to control the TV/Cable box at the same time, are users automatically in cable mode when the box and TV are turned on with the "System" button?

Satch

Replies

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭
    May 10, 2021

So far there is no set of control standards among the Smart TV community, so each manufacturer does their own thing and provides a weblink or printed booklet of instructions to purchasers. Teyh are the experts who can answer your question.

One thing I can suggest for the System PowerOn sequence is to turn the TV on first, cable box second, so the HDMI connection can be quickly detected by the cable box.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭
    May 10, 2021

My set is a Samsung Series 8 model. Just got it last week.

Satch

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 124 MOD
    May 10, 2021

Satch, we don't support Samsung products but I actually have the exact same tv (no lie!) in our bonus room. You can follow @karlbeckman 's good advice and here is another tidbit; think of the home bar (when you click the little home button on the remote) as a Microsoft Windows task bar where you can "pin" your app icon for easier access. When you go and run the app from the SmartHub its running from the same source (your TV) regardless of whether you pin it or not because you have to install it for it to run.

with your instinct for trouble-shooting I have no doubt you either have already figured this out or will do so pretty easy.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 124 MOD
    May 10, 2021

and I should add that even though Spectrum doesn't provide primary support for Samsung, all community members who may be Samsung Smart TV wizards.... please don't hesitate to jump in.

This discussion has been closed.