Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Spectrum Cable Box Audio Settings

jurymanjuryman Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
in TV Equipment May 10, 2021

When attempting to resolve an audio issue with my Spectrum 101 cable box, I noticed there are 3 possible settings for Audio Out. HDMI, Dolby Digital, and Other. Can anyone explain to me when the settings, other than HDMI, are used? My audio issues are related to HDMI. If I switch to optical do I need to change to one of the other settings?

Best Answer

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12 May 12, 2021 Accepted Answer

@juryman,

Yea, we get a lot of reports about some of these external soundbars and audio systems not playing nicely with some of the boxes. Or there will be a box reboot, or a software update to the guide, and all of a sudden, there is an issue to a non-related Spectrum device following a reboot.

HDMI is the way to go for audio and video. Switching to those other settings may result in more frustration than a solution. I am not an authority reguarding the different types of sound system settings on Spectrum receivers, but I did find this online to help explain the sound setting difference. I would suggest writing down or keying in your sound settings via HDMI before making changes to your box. Save them to your computer or device so you can get back to them easily:

I would start by shutting off everything. Unplug your TV, cable box, and sound system for several minutes. This includes the cables in the back of your systems if you can get to them. (A lot of people hate doing this.) With everything off for several minutes, plug your wires back into each device leaving everything off. Now, plug everything back into your wall outlets or surge protector outlets. With everything plugged back in, to both the back of all devices, and your wall or surge protector outlets, turn on your devices devices in the following order:

1.) Cable Box- Allow it to completely reboot than

2.) Your Sound System

3.) Finally, your TV, should be turned on last.

Is your audio now working?

If not, you might need to disconnect your sound system and contact Onkyo here:

That's about as far as you can go at this point. Please post back to us with a follow up report.

Satch

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,019 ADMIN
    May 11, 2021

Hi!

I added a couple links to support pages that might be helpful resolving this issue. Hopefully one of your Community peers will have some additional information as well.

TV Sound Problems

Spectrum Guide: Audio Troubleshooting

May 11, 2021

Hi @juryman ,

Has the audio issue been resolved? If not, can you describe in more detail what is happening with the audio? Does it happen on one channel or multiple channels? Does it happen at certain times of the day, or randomly?

Satch

• jurymanjuryman Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
    May 12, 2021

@James_M My audio issues are related to HDMI connection to my AVR. I had audio working prior to a reset of the cable box. After reset, no more audio over HDMI to AVR. SO, was thinking of switching to optical. That is why I want to know what each of the audio out settings on the cable box are for.

May 12, 2021

@Satch Audio issue is not resolved. It has to do with audio over HDMI to an Onkyo AVR. Everything was working fine for 2 years until I had to do a hard reset of the cable box (Guide issues). After that, nothing. So after trying different combinations of settings on the AVR, Im giving up and going to optical. THAT is why I would like to know what each of the 3 audio out settings are for.

May 12, 2021

What happens if you diconnect the Onkyo and just run the HDMI cable to the cable box and TV?

Satch

May 12, 2021

It works. I get audio through HDMI.

This discussion has been closed.