Nueva comunidad de Spectrum

Hemos creado una comunidad latina para darles a los clientes de habla hispana la opción de hacer preguntas y obtener respuestas en español. Comunidad Latina

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Weather Channel Local Feed via App in North Atlanta Suburbs?

bill730bill730 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭
in Channels & Programming May 17, 2021

It appears Spectrum recenlty installed new equipment to insert the Weather Channel local information for the North Atlanta suburbs (Duluth, Smyrna, Roswell, etc). With the new equipment, will Spectrum be able to provide the local feed for our area via the app/watch.spectrum.net, similiar to what is offered in other regions? We see the generic national feed via the app, with the local feed available through the QAM feed (cable boxes & cable cards).

Comments

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,670 Lead Mod
    May 20, 2021

Hi Bill.

You are talking about "The" Weather Channel correct? Not a Spectrum specific channel? If that is the case the feed that you get would be dependent on the channel themselves.

In some cases you would get the local, or near local. In other cases only the national feed is provided.

I would encourage you to visit their website or Facebook. Let them know that you would love

to have the local weather provided with your subscription.

Julia_R

• bill730bill730 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭
    May 20, 2021

Hi @Julia_R ,

This is for the Weather Channel. Spectrum provides the local feed for most areas through the app that matches what viewers would see via their cable box (or cable card). The equipment for my area was recently updated (the northern Atlanta suburbs were combined into one feed with Duluth as the primary city). The equipment is maintained by Spectrum either at the hub (Duluth) or headend (Columbia, SC?). Now that new equipment is in place, Spectrum should be able to provide it through the app.

May 26, 2021

Any advice on the best place to ask this question?

May 26, 2021

I'm sorry for the delay in response. We can certainly ask around, I am not certain who would be in charge of this type of decision. Can you provide us with the channel number please?

For your area I see AccuWeather and The Weather Channel. I am not seeing anything saying Spectrum Weather or even Spectrum News.

Thanks!

Julia

May 26, 2021

@Julia_R - no problem. This is for the local weather inserts for The Weather Channel (channels 41/736). The equipment that inserts the local forecast was recently upgraded for my area according to the Weather Channel. The Weather Channel provides the equipment to Spectrum and Spectrum installs/maintains it either at the hub or headend for each local area. When viewing through the cable box, I see a local forecast (for Duluth and nearby cities) - example screenshot attached. When viewing through the app/watch.spectrum.net, there is no local insert - just national weather. I think it was setup this way because our area had older equipment from the Weather Channel until recently. Other Spectrum areas show the local inserts through the app/watch.spectrum.net since they already had this newer equipment.

May 30, 2021

Hi @bill730

I am sorry, I was not able to locate who we can speak with about when/if the local weather will be inserted in the app in your area. I would imagine if the change to the equipment has been a recent addition in the area it may be a project underway. I am sorry I am not able to be more specific on this.

Julia

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭
    May 30, 2021

Greetings @bill730 ,

I second what @Julia_R has said. The data from the cable box and the data from the apps are seperate and distinct concerning their functions and updates. How do you control your watched apps? For example on a computer or mobile device? Smart TV? Website?

If it's on a computer, mobile device, or Smart TV, all you can do is set your apps to auto update, which should be the default setting and wait for them, or the Operating System to do the updating. Or wait for your local head-end/hub to push out the updates for your local weather channel data based on your Spectrum market. It sounds like an update project is being processed in your area.

Other options for you:

1.) Get an Alexa device, connect it to Internet and ask her for local weather forecasts whenever you want.

2.) Using apps on your computer, mobile device, or Smart TV that you can install for weather information.

3.) If you have Windows 10, an update forthcoming or already offered if you are running version 1909 or higher will eventually show up by right-clicking in your taskbar called "News and Interests" It will provide news and weather information, along with local traffic for your area, and news stories that you can customize with settings for your own personal and political preferences. You can also right-click on your taskbar to Hide News and Interests if you don't want to see the update.

4.) Going to the Accuweather channel, on Spectrum Select or higher package levels. But a critique of Accuweather.is that some of their information for the cities on the left-hand side of the screen, is not as local as it should be for some areas.

Satch

May 30, 2021

Thanks @Julia_R - thanks for checking. Probably the only group that would know would be engineers at the Duluth, GA hub or perhaps the Columbia, SC master headed. It's a new HD Intellistar server that the Weather Channel provided to Specturm. The older servers it replaced were Intellistar "Juniors" that were standard definition only and one of them served my specific area (Smyrna). I don't think the older servers were compatible with streaming thorugh the app and I believe that's why the app was set to national only. The new HD Intellistar now serves all of the northern Atlanta suburbs and since it's HD-capable, it seems like it would be able to be served up through the Spectrum app, like other Spectrum areas which have already had HD Intellistars. It's possible it may be available in the future.

May 30, 2021

@Satch - I use Apple TV for my bedroom TV with the Watch Spectrum app and the Watch Spectrum app for my iPhone. My main TV is hooked up to a cable box. Definitely true as far as options for weather beyond tuning into the Weather Channel. I usually use apps for instant weather, but I like to have to the Weather Channel on in the background during severe weather and having the local information (and warnings when applicable) is nice to have. I think the capability is there since the Spectrum app sometimes gets confused and delivers feeds from other areas instead of the national feed I normally see. I also recenlty switched from Comcast (my area is one of the few overlap areas between Comcast and Spectrum) and they had it setup to deliver the local feed via the app.

This discussion has been closed.