Nueva comunidad de Spectrum

Hemos creado una comunidad latina para darles a los clientes de habla hispana la opción de hacer preguntas y obtener respuestas en español. Comunidad Latina

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Expiring ECA Certificates in Customer Owned Modems

dstoffadstoffa Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 4 in Connectivity Jun 04, 2021

All,

I understand that customer owned equipment is allowed on the Spectrum network, and that list is available here on the site. The list of authorized modems is groups by tier speeds, down to minimally qualified modems. When one reads the makes / models of modems on this list, some of these makes / models are many years old.

I have read elsewhere (dslreports, docsis.org, etc.) that each modem has an ECA Certificate, which must not be expired for it to work / communicate. Some of these older modems (Arris SB6121, 6141, etc.) have certificates that expire next month (July 10, 20201), and those installed on SB6190 modems expire in September. These are older DOCSIS 2.0 modems. There may be other modems which have similar fatal flaws.

I have also read that we cannot update our own firmware. This must be done by Spectrum.

Since July is right around the corner, can someone advise if Spectrum plans to push out firmware updates to these customer-owned modems before they get bricked?

If not, will the list of "approved" modems be updated to remove the modems that will no longer be supported since their firmware has not been updated?

It gets late early around here, and I'd rather have a "new" modem on hand should there be a plethora of service calls / visits to the local Spectrum store on July 11.... and no modems available since thousands of customers will need "new" ones to make use of their internet service.

Some of us on older legacy plans would need to "rent" a modem, hence owning one's own...

Cheers!

-Doug

Tagged:

Best Answer

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭✭
    Jun 05, 2021

Yea,

Modems are provided by Spectrum at no charge with Internet plans. Optional routers provided by Spectrum are about $5.00 a month. (Or you can use your own.)

Satch

This discussion has been closed.