**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Internet dropping out intermittently in hot weather (maybe?) TONS of uncorrectables

bwinter71444bwinter71444 Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 8 in Connectivity Jun 08, 2021

Hi,

I've been having a problem within the last 2 days where my internet has been dropping out for a couple minutes at a time. I thought it was my modem going bad, I've had it for a few years now (Arris Surfboard 8200, HW rev 4 bought 7/2018) but I decided to do some more digging because I couldn't tell if it was my modem, or my router that was the cause of the problem. My router is a Linksys EA9500 (bought 1/2018), with 6-12 devices connected at any given time.

I obviously took the first steps and unplugged the modem, still had issues, then same with the router with no change in the internet dropping for minutes randomly.

I connected to the UI of my modem, and saw this:

Needless to say, I didn't think that this looked right! I'm certainly not an IT pro, but even I know based on my research this doesn't look good, 24 hours after a restart. But, maybe I'm wrong, a restart may not clear the values of the corrected/uncorrected packets and this is for the lifetime of the modem? The power seems to be OK, ch1-3 look a little low, but not terrible. The SNR looks ok from what I've read.

Anyway, I did a reset on the router based on some other things I saw online, and then 3 minutes after I did a reset, I took another look at the UI and I saw this:

30 minutes later:

And 2 hours later from the last screenshot:

Here is a screenshot of the logs, which may or may not help.

I have checked the connection, the cable on the modem and wall is tight, no kinks, it has been in the same spot since we moved in. Really the only difference is that it has been very hot outside recently, and that is really when I've been noticing the connection issues.

Tonight, I'm going in the basement and tracing the line back to the ingress into the house to check for any splices and ensure they're tight, and I'll check the main house connection. But other than that, do you think this is a hardware-related problem or a problem with the line somewhere?

Now, one more item, I read somewhere that I should be sure to tell Spectrum to send a DOCSYS 3.1 signal, not the 3.0. But, I did give them the model and MAC so they could add it to my account, so I'm sure if it was that important it wouldn't have worked at all when I started service after we bought the house? Again, just trying to give all the information I have.

Thanks for the help!

-Brian

Replies

• bwinter71444bwinter71444 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jun 08, 2021

Also, after more digging into the SNR and power levels, it sounds like the power levels should be withing -7 to +7 dBmV, but they should also be within 3 dB of each other, same with SNR. They are not. In fact, channel 2 and 3 seem to be fluctuating based on the screenshots I've posted.

Also, checked the cables in the basement, the cable I'm using for my modem gets plugged into a 3-way splitter, and that splitter is plugged into a 5-way bulkhead splitter. So maybe not ideal?

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,824 ADMIN
    Jun 08, 2021

@bwinter71444

Hi and welcome!

When was the last time you have a service call? Looks like you need to get a technician out to address the issue.

• bwinter71444bwinter71444 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jun 08, 2021

Hi James,

I have never actually had someone out, we bought the house in January and things seemed to be working ok so there wasn't a need.

As it turns out, there is a network outage somewhere near me (Wilton, NY) and I've been without internet for a few hours. So I wonder if my problems were being caused on some faulty equipment that was at the end of life, and it finally gave the death rattle today?

When my service comes back, I'll continue to monitor the modem, and see if things improve. But I'm also thinking that I should have someone come out anyway to see if they can fix the power and SNR discrepancy, if it looks like it would be a problem on its own.

Brian

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,824 ADMIN
    edited June 8 Jun 08, 2021

Sounds like a plan. As well, keep the screen shots, and show the technician if you decide to schedule an appointment. Note that channels 25 and 26 are both consistently showing issues, which can indicate anything from a loose or damaged connection, or even coax damage from a squirrel. As you also pointed out, now that the temperatures are going up, it is also not unusual for natural expansion and contraction to amplify existing issues.