**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Community Solutions Internet Question

drewthenetworkdudedrewthenetworkdude Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Jun 10, 2021

Hey Spectrum,

My apartment complex has told us they are looking at becoming a spectrum community for internet and I have a question. Being a network engineer I Have my own firewall and home servers, one of which host the cameras for our neighborhood. With community internet would I still have my own private internet connection that I would be able to have my firewall functioning as the internet-facing router as it is on my normal residential spectrum connection? or is this something that could be configured on the spectrum side for my apartment if my landlord decides to become a spectrum community? She has told me everyone would still have they own modem and router but everything i see on your website makes it sound like it is a complex-wide network with each apartment on something like a vlan???

Replies

• drewthenetworkdudedrewthenetworkdude Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Jun 10, 2021
  • Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 394 MOD
    Jun 10, 2021

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community. What you would get depends on if they sign up for Community Solutions or just bulk services. The difference is that Community Solutions is a building wide network everyone shares. Bulk services would be that each apartment would have their own account and equipment but no charges on a bill for us it would show as 0 due each month as the apartment complex would pay for the service from a master account.

-Tyleen

• drewthenetworkdudedrewthenetworkdude Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited June 10 Jun 10, 2021

Hi @Tyleen_Z ,

Thank you for the blazing fast response Im imagining it will be the bulk option since she said everyone would still have their own network and we would pay it as part of our rent each month. in this option does everyone still have the ability to forward ports or place the modem in bridge mode just like a normal spectrum service since they have their own equipment?

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 394 MOD
    Jun 10, 2021

You're welcome! You should be able to have your own equipment as you will have your own accounts and you would just need to reach out to us to add the equipment to the account. The equipment from us may be given to you automatically with the bulk account that can depend on what they sign up for. Generally there will be an account rep that would have more information. At the very least you will be able to have your own router.

-Tyleen