Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Can I extend wifi signal with wired ethernet connection?

sunvoxsunvox Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Home Networking Jun 25, 2021

I have Spectrum authorized and provided equipment:

Motorola E31U2V1 - wifi modem

Askey RAC2V1K - router

I ran an ethernet T5 line to my back bedroom because the wifi signal does not reach that room and my wife uses that location as an office. I would prefer to connect a second wifi modem in that room or any device approved by Spectrum to establish a wifi signal there.

Does Spectrum offer equipment to do this? Do I need to replace the Spectrum equipment in my living room to make this happen?

Thank you for any help.

Best Answer

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 419 MOD
    Jun 25, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hello @sunvox and welcome to the Spectrum Community. You should actually be able to add a second modem to your account. You would need to reach out to our sale team to setup a work order to accomplish that. I do not believe that there is anything that you would need to do with the equipment that you currently have as that would continue to function on it's own separate line. The best number to call would be 855-707-7328 and ask to have a second modem added to the account. They will be able to quote the costs involved with that and can setup a work order if you decide you'd like to proceed.

Thank you.

Paul_B.

Replies

• sunvoxsunvox Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Jun 25, 2021

Thanks for the speedy answer Paul! I will do that on Monday.

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26 Jun 26, 2021

You can add your own WiFi device without incurring the added cost for a second modem from Spectrum. To make that work, you must disable the router in the second WiFi device so that your original router handles the IP addressing for your entire home. The second unit will only be a 'dumb switch' with a WiFi radio.

USER BENEFIT: All WiFi or wired ethernet devices in your home can share printers or storage drives connected to either router, whether they are wired or wireless (just NOT USB).

This discussion has been closed.