Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

One of my devices is downloading 4x slower than others on the same network

Ruiv92Ruiv92 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 5 in Internet 2021 Archive Jul 03, 2021

So I have a gaming laptop that I constantly keep docked in my desk. It's an Asus ROG GM501GS, only about 2/3 years old, with some fairly recent specs. There's a few network adapters in my device manager, but I believe it's likely using the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz for the wifi connection. My internet is provided by Spectrum and the modem is a Technicolor / Thompson / RCA TC8715D, and I'm connected to the 5g wifi on both devices

I just purchased a Lenovo Flex 5 with the Ryzen 7, and to my surprise it's downloading at much higher speeds than my old device. I ran two speed tests separately, same distance from the router, same network, and got 200 mbps download on the new device and 30 mbps on the old one. Both had an upload of around 11.5

Any idea what could be causing this? I had pretty great speeds with my gaming laptop in my last ISP, but have always had these average speeds with Spectrum (I just assumed they weren't great until my new laptop showed me I have been missing out this whole time). The old device isn't old enough for the hardware to justify such a discrepancy, so I'm thinking it's probably software throttling my download speed (although I have formatted this laptop recently). I have all drivers from ASUS and windows update up to date, and I checked to see if I could update my router firmware but couldn't find any options for this

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 94 MOD
    Jul 04, 2021

Hello @Ruiv92

Welcome to our community! Even if the older device is only a couple of years old, if there's an issue with the network card, that can cause the slow speeds. It may be worth checking if there's an update for the network card or any troubleshooting for it that Intel recommends.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what could be causing it?

• Ruiv92Ruiv92 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Jul 04, 2021

Hi @Renee_T , thanks for your reply! It seems all drivers are updated, I even manually downloaded the drivers to see if windows update had not properly installed them but no luck

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 124 MOD
    Jul 05, 2021

Hello @Ruiv92 ! If other devices are rocking right along I think you are wise to assume it is something going on with your older device. Does the speed improve if you connect it via Ethernet?

This discussion has been closed.