Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Non-existent Web interface for the commscope SAC2V1A 192.168.1.1??

roofus_doofusroofus_doofus Posts: 1
in Home Networking Jul 08, 2021

Here is the "manual" for the SAC2V1A https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum%20AC%20WiFi%20Router%20User%20Guide%20v1%2010%2011%202019.pdf

...the manual is a total of 6 pages long (one whole page just being a picture of the router). the SAC2V1A manual simply informs the customer that they need to: 1) have a smartphone and 2) they need to use the My Spectrum app to adjust the settings for the router.

In comparison to the almost Identical router models "RA" series, RAC2V1A etc... The manual is 93 pages long!!! https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1A%20Arris%20Wave%202.pdf The RA series appears to have all the settings anyone could ever want/need to modify to suit their needs.

My question is, why is the web interface NOT an option for the SAC2V1A? When connected to the network via WiFi or Ethernet, typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser will redirect you to an informational (non-interactive) page that displays information about your router/network.

(Side note to spectrum, FIREFOX WARNS THAT THE INFORMATION BEING DISPLAYED ABOUT THE NETWORK on 192.168.1.1 "USES WEAK ENCRYPTION AND OTHER THIRD PARTIES CAN SEE THE INFORMATION BEING DISPLAYED")

I have tried many alternative suggestions on other sites, threads, guides, discussions that offer ways to get around this but to no avail. Ive assigned a static IP to my laptop and tried while connected via WiFi and Ethernet, Ive tried typing in 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.xx, 192.168.254.254 etc..... factory reset, checked the TCP/IPV4, Made sure PC LAN network settings in DHCP mode or in static mode configured with the same series Networks.

I know what the answer from a charter spectrum representative is going to be (as I have already spoken with them a few times about this).

"go to My Spectrum app>login>services>WiFi>router>view & edit Network settings OR advanced settings. You will be able to configure the SSID,password,static IP, port forwarding, view connected devices/block devices, UPnp, DNS Server".

Okay great... how do I configure:

NAT (Network Address Translation) ?

820.11g, 802.11n or 802.11ac (SAC2V1A supposedly does this for you)=DUMB some devices=only2g some devices only 5g

Firewall control?

DMZ?

How do i go about viewing the logs??? What if I have a troubled and a potentially dangerous child that I need to periodically check the logs to ensure he isnt advancing the problem further via knowledge from the internet? How can I tell if my internet connectivity issues are related to DDOS attacks or just firmware updates?

I am sure the settings in the My Spectrum app are more than enough for most users. But I think charter should ask the customer if they intend on using advanced configurations before just giving this router out. I want to set up an old router as a repeater and to do that I need to access the web interface for both routers and I live 10 miles from the nearest spectrum store and currently dont have any transportation. My old router through charter I was able to access the web interface but I recently upgraded to get higher internet speeds (which the speed HAS increased about 4 fold with this new router compared to the old).

There are A LOT of spectrum customers complaining, networking, posting on threads and social media about this issue and I think that Charter Spectrum should consider doing a firmware update/software update that would allow its overpaying customers the FREEDOM to configure their routers as they would like to. If that is not possible I think that there should be a place that is easily accessible where customers that aren't happy with this "locked" router can request to exchange it with the RAC model or whichever router would better suit their needs.

In order for me to be able to afford my own quality router that is configurable I recently removed my 2 Charter cable TV subscriptions from my plan entirely (so i only pay for internet now). So that is revenue loss on charters end directly related to this specific issue.

Replies

• LGTLGT Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 09, 2021

There is a simple answer to this question, but you are not going to like it. Since Spectrum is supplying you with this equipment they decide what you can access and this is a one size fits all solution. They feel it is in their best interest to limit access to settings they think most people would not need or might not even understand. To be honest this works fine for 90 per cent of their customers, the rest, like you, are just stuck.

The solution to the problem is buy your own router and let Spectrum provide the modem. You could even go a step further and buy both your own modem and router as long as the modem is on Spectrums approved list. This solution will allow you with maximum control over your own network. The downside is it will cost you a couple of hundred dollars or more. The other downside is if you have any configuration troubles you are on your own unless you can show Spectrum the problem is on their end.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but that is the way Spectrum runs their company and they have shown no inclination to change it.

This discussion has been closed.