Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Latest DVR info query

Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
edited July 12 in TV Equipment Jul 12, 2021

So I've had a 210 model for a while now and they're finally going to start charging me this month... although it is not in use because I still have 6 tuner Arris 3600 model I'm hanging on for dear life. But its starting to have some random reboot issues as well as glitches in the recordings...unfortunately. and of course there's Charters unwanted price increase of already ancient equipment.

Is there anything newer out than the 210?

Does it still have the same issues as last time I checked...as in not working very well with the Spectrum app...the entire manage DVR section is non-functional. This is of course in addition to:

1. Only 4 tuners

2. No clock or Channel display

3. Slow-ish interface

4. "Different" picture than the 6 tuner model--channels seem "fuzzier"

5. Non-dimmable lights that could guide an airplane in to land!

Are the six tuner model still generally preferred even though they're really starting to get a bit long in the tooth?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 12, 2021

Good evening Scott,

I have a six-tuner Cisco 9865 running ODN over Spectrum Guide and am holding onto it for life. Not too much change in the World Boxes. How are your signal levels? For small hiccups I would not swap out your six-tuner box. You can always gets your signals and drop line checked, but tell the tech you aboslutely want to keep your Arris 3600.

How long have you had the 210 box? I don't know as much about the World Box. Is that a Humax DVR or Technicolor model? I would return the 210 and keep the 3600. What does your local office have in inventory for box models? Don't swap a working box till last resort. You don't know what you are going to get in return.

Satch

• Scott_djScott_dj Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    Jul 12, 2021

I'm sure it comes into play that I'm always maxxing out the capacity at 98-99%. I recorded a bunch of stuff yesterday so I'll check that. As long as it's just glitches and not completely missing DVR programs like I think it's done in the past, I just definitely prefer this one over the 210. There's no brand name on the 210...just says "Spectrum".

The one advantage to the 210 I can see is it has a Netflix app. Not sure if it could handle Atmos but that would be the only way to get that signal from Netflix because I can't do it from my TV....i only have ARC not e-ARC.

This is the latest ODN and signal strength on the 3600 which I think is okay...

Jul 12, 2021

One tip for customers with DVR service.

Remember that a DVR is NOT designed to be a permient storage device. I will hold on to DVR content for an average of a month, two months at most, watch the shows, and than delete the content. If you start maxing out your DVR storage space, you could start having small hiccups and glitches with it, regardless of box. You have 1TB of storage on the new boxes, which is a solid 100 hours of HD programs, that is very good.

If you can keep your DVR storage space at a managable level, it will help with box performance! The more shows you have on this thing, the more archiving and indexing it has to do to find and manage shows. Over time, that can strain the hard drive.

Furthormore, a software update to these boxes can wipe out shows and series. So don't let your DVR storage build up without watching some shows and series, without taking care to manage the percentage use. Watch what you have DVR'ed within a month or two of recording maxium and than delete the shows. Your DVR has the potential to last longer using this method.

Satch

Jul 12, 2021

Great advice. I usually try to keep at under 90% at least...but I've ramped it up a bit of late. So that 3600 is a 1tb drive? That should be plenty. Now my only issue is they keep raising the fees for the ancient hardware-- not to mention the broadcast key is going sky high again. I guess someone's got to pay for that admittedly really handy and convenient 24hr Spectrum 13 news broadcast! Hard to swallow though at $40 between the DVR & broadcasting before you start having any of the packages!

However...the cloud DVR is just not the same and Roku Spectrum literally could die at any time as I've seen it happen (you'll get a bizarre message that says the Spectrum store cannot be accessed)

edited July 13 Jul 12, 2021

So I took back 210 to my local store and they accepted it under the situation (don't normally). Believe it or not since I'm an original TWC area, they actually they have another Arris 3600! I'm going to trade mine out tomorrow before the theyvare gone because it is glitching enough that I think it's going bad. Some pixelated recordings and it's missed a couple shows that I know I set for record.

Thanks for the advice Satch and I will definitely keep this one to minimum recordings to not push the space!

edited July 13 Jul 13, 2021

Hey Scott,

Awesome that they have a six tuner DVR! Yea, 1TB of space! Those are the best boxes out there. Arris, Cisco, and Samsung DVR's with six tuners. I have never had my DVR go about 6% of used space! I watch and than delete a few days later and it really makes my Cisco 9865 more responsive. It's a shame that you have to be in a legacy TWC/BHN market to get a rare six-tuner box.

And the six tuner boxes run ODN instead of the Spectrum Guide on World Boxes. A lot of people like the ODN guide better than Spectrum Guide.

Yea, the cloud DVR still needs a lot of work. It's just not the same as having a box DVR.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.