Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

How do get a list of Client IP addresses and HEX addresses from a Sagecom SAC2V2S router

pbgdmgpbgdmg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
in Home Networking Jul 12, 2021

I can’t find anything in the Spectrum app or on the Spectrum website

Best Answer

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 16, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hello!

You can use any router you like. They do not have to be authorized. The modems do go through a process to be approved for our network but the routers do not. In my home we use a middle of the line Netgear router, my son is an Xbox kid so he needed to customize some things. He wanted a Nighthawk Tri-Band (of course) but I put my foot down and we have done just fine without the massive wings and bells and whistles.

Lots of options out there to fit lots of different needs! Let us know what you end up going with and why, we would love your feedback on how things go.

Julia_R

Replies

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 148 MOD
    Jul 12, 2021

Good afternoon, @pbgdmg! My preferred way of getting that information is to log directly into the router itself. There should be a label on the side or bottom of the router explaining how to do that. Did you already give that a shot?

• pbgdmgpbgdmg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭
    Jul 13, 2021

Thanks for responding. Spectrum has chosen modems and routers that have minimal connection information. You can’t connect to their new modem at all (Technicolor ET2251). When I go to the router in my browser, all it brings up is an info and status page about the router (model, serial number, ipv4 , ipv6 MAC address of router, etc. No nice table of everything connected to it. That router info page tells you to go to the MySpectrum app.

When you go to that app, you select Services, and you get a list of your Spectrum equipment on a page labeled Services and Equipment. Under the section labeled “WiFi”, there are two links (Router and Manage Devices). Manage Devices on that page says I have 17 devices. When I select Manage Devices, I get a list of every device that has ever connected to the Router by either direct WiFi or directly by Ethernet. The list shows me the status (connected or disconnected). There’s no nice table of Mac addresses and IP addresses like I used to get when polling my older Sagecom modem. In order to get the Mac and IP address info, you have to select each device one at a time.

Another issue I have with that page is that it doesn’t list any device info for devices that connect to the router by wired Ethernet coming from my other router configured in Bridge Mode. All of the devices that the app shows as disconnected are really connected via the bridge mode WiFi router. Those devices are active and have a different Mac and IP address from the bridge mode router. The Spectrum app shows them all as disconnected because they have a different Mac and IP address (ones assigned when connected directly (wired or WiFi)). The old Sagecom router used to show you all the device info whether it connected from via the router’s wireless or a direct Ethernet connection.

Bottom line is that there’s no nice table with all the info I’m used to getting on the old router. You have to dig down through menus in the MySpectrum app and can get info only one device at a time and only for devices that have connected directly to that router via WiFi or Ethernet. There’s no status and device info available for active devices connected to the router via Ethernet from another router connected in bridge mode.

it’s Devolution, not Evolution

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 15, 2021

We are sorry to hear the router is not meeting your needs. You are in no way obligated to use our equipment. If it just does not fit your needs we totally understand. No one piece of equipment is going to work well for everyone.

We have quite a few folks in the community who choose to use their own routers, and even a handful who use their own modems as well. I do hope some of them chime in on what works well for them.

Hope you are having a great day!

Julia_R

Jul 16, 2021

Thanks for responding.

@Julia_R can you tell me where the list of authorized routers are on Spectrum’s website? I poked around and all I found was modems.

Jul 17, 2021

Thanks very much for the info

Jul 19, 2021

Hello! @pbgdmg there isn't a list for wifi routers because, security/peformance wise, we are just concerned about authorized modems accessing our system. If the modem is secure and functioning it will give the router the information it needs to function.

Said another way, our concern is that you have an authorized modem and you can add whatever type of wifi router/system you would like to that modem.

Jul 23, 2021

@Randy_T thanks for responding.

Jul 27, 2021

Any time @pbgdmg ! Thanks for the opportunity to help.

This discussion has been closed.