**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Does Spectrum still not supply battery power on their own lines?

AntDudeAntDude Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
in Digital Phone Jul 13, 2021

Others and I have internal battery back ups at our rural homes, but we get no cable (e.g., Internet and phone) services when our external SCE's power goes out. It had been like this for years even during TWC days before Charter. https://www.spectrum.com/policies/battery and its 7/4/2021 hardcopy letter (same texts) are confusing since they say they provide battery back ups to work for phone services. What about Internet?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Replies

• Anthony_VAnthony_V Posts: 37 MOD
    Jul 13, 2021

Hello!

The battery back-ups that can be provided are for the Modem / MTA in the residence to keep phone services active in the case that power to your home is interrupted. Though if power is down in the entire area and is out to our infrastructure in the area even if you have the battery back up at the residence since power is out to our equipment in the field the services would not work.

• Anthony
  • AntDudeAntDude Posts: 93 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 13, 2021

Anthony_V: Is there a reason why my whole area doesn't have a backup power for the cable? I was told there would be back up powers for cable to meet 911 requirements.

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 17, 2021

This is why you never get rid of a landline even if you never use it because you use your cell phone,etc. The only "lifeline" equipment in most areas is the landline that is required by the local PUC to be available 99.9% of the time. I pay $40 a month for a landline just for emergencies where my iPhone isn't working or is off for repair, etc.

Of course, if your area has a PUC with no teeth then maybe even a landline cannot be relied on even when the power is out. Phone service from a cable company is NOT a landline service and your cell may be out for a variety of reasons also. We have a strong PUC in Hawaii and my landline has ALWAYS worked even when the power was out, years ago, for six days. Cable TV, etc did not work but the landline did the entire time. Even with every one in the outage area trying to use a landline I only once got the message that "all circuits are busy" when I tried to call out during that six days and I was able to call just a few minutes later.