**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Is it now possible to make changes to 20 year old hawaii.rr.com email addresses?

DesireeDesiree Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
in Email Jul 17, 2021

I use Thunderbird as my email client. Unfortunately, I get some weird advice from Spectrum techs and links here to helpful articles do not work, but then I am in Hawaii and until recently we still had all tech support in Hawaii but if I call local Oceanic TWC/Spectrum support number I now get mainland techs and what they advise doesn't seem to work here. Spectrum still sends me to call a LOCAL Oceanic number if I wanted a service like phone that I don't have. So, I think advice here (actually the old board as this is my first visit to this new board) and from Mainland Spectrum techs still doesn't always apply to Hawaii.

The Mainland tech today told me the mail server is "mail.twc.com." No, it is "pop-server.hawaii.rr.com". He also told me to change the incoming server port to 995. I can't ...it changes but does not stick and automatically changes back to what I have had for 20 years..port 110.

He also told me to use port 587 for outgoing mail but then it is NOT "mail.twc.com" rather the outgoing server is "smtp-server.hawaii.rr.com" and it uses port 25. There is NO connection security and the password is transmitted insecurely. It's been like this for over 20 years. I can change the outgoing server port but it too will not stick and if I change incoming and outgoing server port numbers then I cannot receive or send mail until they automatically, after a few minutes, change back.

I was told several years ago from local RR techs (about the time Spectrum was taking over) that NO changes can be made (even to add security to password transmission, etc) to these very old hawaii.rr.com email addresses. Is this still correct? If so, you will continue to support server ports 110 and 25? (I know Comcast no longer supports either).

I suppose the problem might be my ineptness in changing the incoming/outgoing ports that are used by the server but since links to possible help articles simply log me out here and send me all over the place to finally to Spectrum.net home page and no article...well....that is how it was with TWC also. That's why it is frustrating to not be able to call and get a tech in Hawaii like i used to do.

Best Answer

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 104 MOD
    Jul 19, 2021 Accepted Answer

Good morning and thank you for reaching out. You may want to contact Thunderbird support for help with the settings for your software but let's make sure the email is still functional. Try logging in with your email address and password for that address at https://webmail.spectrum.net/ If you can login and it loads there, the email server settings the other techs gave you should work. But that is a good first step just to make sure the address is still active and functioning.

And of course anyone with any suggestions, please jump in!

Randy

Replies

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 21, 2021

Of course, it works there. You have completely missed my point. This has nothing to do with TB. This has to do with Spectrum trying to force me to use @twc.com for email which I will not do. I am saying that Spectrum techs are POORLY trained.