**NEW** Advanced Search Options

We recently added advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts on the community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for something specific, please use the search bar to check if someone else has asked or answered the same question before posting a new question. Check out our Community Instructions for other FAQ's.

Packet loss after multiple technician visits

PowellTPowellT Posts: 5 ✭✭
in Connectivity Jul 19, 2021

Hi!

I am having difficultly with packet loss for the past few months. I get intermittent 2-10% packet loss, resulting in disconnects from Zoom, work Vpn, etc.

I have had 3 technicians come by, one guy replaced the line from the pole to the house, one replaced the line from the box outside the house to the modem, one guy added a splitter at the box. These changes are made, the guys runs a quick test, of course seeing no packet loss in the very short period of testing and leaves. Then I will get the same issues immediately, which is maddening.

I have to work remotely, I am getting worried that I am going to have to move, which would be a disaster.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Setup:

Modem: E31T2V1 Router: RAC2V1K

Spectrum Plan: Ultra 400

Topology:

Pole -> Box -> hole through wall straight to modem as simple as it can be

Troubleshooting done to this point

1. changed/checked all cables. From wall to modem, from modem to router,
  2. connected directly to modem, same results as running through wifi router
  3. rebooting/resetting modem
  4. rebooting/resetting router
  5. replacing router with 3rd party router ASUS RT-AX55
  6. changing mtu size to lower, didnt make much difference

How do you know you have packet loss?

tested with command line ping, like ping 1.1.1.1 -t

tested with WinMTR

tested with Ping Plotter

*pinged against multiple addresses, google, opendns, anycast, etc I realize ICMP traffic can be turned off

a quick MTR output *ignore 10% on 1st hop, as I am connected via wifi. Similar results when connected via Spectrum's router, and even when connected by wire directly to modem.

Other notes:

Speed is consistently good, 400Mps + when connecting to the modem directly, ~250Mps on wifi

*Not that it helps much, as it doesnt matter the speed if some of the message is missing :)

Non-tech savvy neighbors having similar disconnect issues., but I have no ping data for them obviously

Before this started several months ago, internet was working fine.

I see other responses here asking for modem signal strength number, not sure how to get that info..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Powell

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 2,900 ADMIN
    Jul 19, 2021

Hi and welcome!

Are you connected on WiFi? If so, does the same issue occur if connect directly to the modem?

• PowellTPowellT Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Jul 19, 2021

The problem exists on WIFI and wired. No difference.

My first point of troubleshooting, after checking wires, was to eliminate WIFI as culprit, by connecting directly to the modem.

Jul 19, 2021

Sorry about that, missed that you answered that on #2 in troubleshooting. You mentioned that lines and splitters have been replaced. Has the modem been replaced?

Jul 19, 2021

The modem has not been replaced.

Thank you for your replies by the way :)

Jul 19, 2021

Thanks. I was able to locate your account based on you registration information. Just to confirm I am looking at the correct account, it looks like the modem was restarted in the last 4 hours and it also looks like you have another service call scheduled in the next few days, is that correct?

Jul 19, 2021

That is correct.

Jul 19, 2021

Perfect. I was able to take a look at your logs and nothing really stands out. The signal levels look good and there does not appear to be any issues on the individual channels. I suggest keeping the service call, because there may something else going on and when the modem gets reset, some of the data is cleared out.

Next step would include replacing the modem to rule out an equipment issue. If you don't want to wait until the service call, you can always visit a local store and exchange your modem for a new one (this applies to modems provided by Spectrum).

James

Jul 19, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. This is a reasonable approach.

I will keep the appointment and ask for a new modem then (I assume they have them in the van 😀 )

Any suggestions as to how to engage the technician effectively when they show up?

Should I provide WinMTR, pingplot etc output? I dont want to step on toes, but I also want to get this sorted, if you get me.

edited July 19 Jul 19, 2021

Absolutely, any information you have can be helpful. As well, try to avoid restarting the modem for as long as possible prior to the appointment. I did see some T3 errors, but there were only a few, and they accumulate over time but are cleared when the modem is restarted. If the modem is online at least a couple days and there are excessive errors, that can also help diagnose the issue.