Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

What does it mean to “remove a trap”?

BluebirderBluebirder Posts: 1
in Connectivity Jul 25, 2021

A Spectrum technician just showed up at my house (it’s 6 PM on a Sunday) and said he was here “to remove a trap” on my underground cable. I called customer service and they verified that he was supposed to be here doing that “by special request”. I never requested any service and my Internet is working fine. (I only have Spectrum Internet, turned off TV 6 years ago). She had no idea what “removing a trap” meant, but said that someone at Spectrum must have noticed a problem and put in a request to fix it. She said she couldn’t connect me to anyone who could explain it and told me to ask the technician, who was gone by then. Can anyone explain what he was doing and why?

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 95 MOD
    Jul 26, 2021

Hello @Bluebirder

Welcome to our community! Traps were more commonly placed on lines and taps in the past as a means of preventing cable theft. Most of the time they don't have any impact to the service, but with some of the network updates that we've done recently, they can cause some issues with the internet speeds. If one of your neighbors was experiencing issues with their speeds and had a technician out who determined that there was a trap on the line causing the issue, they would need to remove it. Was the technician requesting access to your home or did they need access to your yard?

This discussion has been closed.