Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Emergency Alert System

WazooWazoo Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Jul 27, 2021

An Emergency Alert always locks up my cable system. I have two set top boxes and it happens to both. I know that I can just reboot the set top box to fix it, but every single alert locks up my system, often several times a day, at several minutes for each reboot. A month ago, I just hit "Last Channel" and it would all go away immediately. Since we are required to suffer the alerts, what can I do to stop the lock ups?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭
    Jul 27, 2021

Hello,

Normally, and EAS message would not lock up your cable box. You may have a signal or line problem. Contact Spectrum to set up a "Signal and drop line test." Let them know that whenever you get a EAS message, your box locks up and you are forced to reboot.

If your signals are OK, ask the tech to escalate the issue. Spectrum would than need to open a ticket for your area, because something in your node is causing the problem.

Satch

• WazooWazoo Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    Jul 31, 2021

The technician was out today. He said it is something that is randomly happening with the newer Spectrum receivers, starting a few weeks ago. The older models don't seem to have this problem. They have no solution, but it is hoped that newer firmware will solve the issue. If this is happening to you, call service and get it documented. Hopefully the potential solution will get escalated.

Jul 31, 2021

Yes!

Great advice @Wazoo,

If an EAS alert is locking up your box, call Spectrum to report it. You can also use Spectrum on Twitter if you have a Twitter account, go to @Ask Spectrum. Tell the rep that the techs said it is an issue with the newest boxes over the last several weeks. If you report on Twitter to @Ask Spectrum, sign in to your Twitter account and than follow that page. You will need to DM @Ask Spectrum your account information on your statement.

Three people or more reporting an issue, escalates an issue from that point forward.

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,670 Lead Mod
    Aug 01, 2021

Hello All!

It does sound this is a known issue, from what the local technician said, there is no need to call in or contact us if a reboot resolves the issue. An update should take care of that as soon as we have that available to push out to the equipment. You can try the change channel up or down or even send a hit via the My Spectrum app to restore function to the box in the meantime.

Just a little correction on the Twitter handle. It is @Ask_Spectrum. That underscore between the words is what makes it ours. I'm unsure if there is anyone who uses it without that there but with it there it will definitely reach us.

Hope you are all having a fantastic day!

Julia_R

Aug 01, 2021

To clarify, they are collecting data. Until the problem is widespread, they aren't going to do anything about it.

So if you have this issue, call Spectrum, see a repairman, and get your equipment on the list.

After the day I rebooted eight times, I'm tired of it.

Aug 01, 2021

I am sorry, I misunderstood! In that case yes definitely call or contact us via chat or even

Social Media @Ask_Spectrum or Facebook.com/Spectrum. Which of the World boxes are you

using?

I would be frustrated as well. I am sorry this is happening.

Julia_R

Aug 01, 2021

I have two Humax Spectrum 100 receivers. Both have the problem.

I'm told that the older ones (with a clock display on them) do not suffer the problem.

Aug 02, 2021

Hi @Wazoo,

Just to clarify, Spectrum is doing something They are collecting data, which is what they need to push out an update. The highest priority is six or more people contacting Spectrum with the same issue. So customers who are affected, should contact Spectrum with this feedback. When you give them your account information, they will be able to determine what make and model box you have installed.

Wazoo, you said you needed to reboot eight times in one day? Even with this bug, that should not be happening. Have you tried powering off both your box and TV and than unplugging your box for one minute. Plug the box back in and allow the box to reboot from a cold state.

Years ago some of the boxes with clocks would get stuck with EAS Alerts long after the danger has passed. I think you have some data that is stuck in your box and it needs to be flushed out with a power off, one minute unplug or more of the box and than do the cold reboot.

Satch

edited August 5 Aug 05, 2021

@Wazoo

I wanted to let you know that we were able to locate your area/account via your registration information, and that we have passed this along to our engineering group. They reached back out to us to let us know they are investigating this. Can you provide us a little bit more information on what precisely happens? The alert comes on, you hear the audio for the alert and then what happens? Does the video freeze or does the video and audio freeze? You are able to change channels when this happens or do you not have any function at all?

Hope you are having a great day!

Julia_R

Aug 06, 2021

The alert appears, as it should and as it had always done. I used to be able to mute the sound and then I learned that pressing last channel would cause the entire alert to go away. Under the current situation, none of the remote buttons do anything, and after the alert I am left with a screen that only has a top title like "Spectrum Emergency Alert System Details Channel". This persists until I reboot the set top box.

The girl on the phone tried something programmatically, and scheduled a visit so that the situation would be officially reported. I have to say that since I reported this situation, there have been no alerts and I don't know for sure what is currently happening. There has been a test of the system. I did not bother to try and press any buttons since I expected to have to reboot, but after the test the full functionality of the system returned automatically.

This is not my photo, but the screen I got resembled this one: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pVhXdUT5BGw/maxresdefault.jpg

Aug 08, 2021

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I have forwarded this information over to our teams for more review.

Julia_R

• FLHTHEMIFLHTHEMI Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Aug 11, 2021

On a new box with DVR, I got an EAS message while the box was OFF. So I didn't see it when it actually occurred. But the next morning the screen had it displayed when I powered on the box. Not knowing the last channel button would remove it I, instead, had to pull the plug on the box and reboot. These are really annoying and yes I realize it could save my life. But once I see the message I have the info so I should be able to close it and go back to normal. That's how it worked on AT&T Uverse.

Aug 12, 2021

So...last night I had several alerts due to bad weather. While one of them was blaring on my screen I turned off the DVR box. Then turned it back on. When it came back on it was locked up like the picture in a previous post. The issue, here at my house, seems to be with the box that has the DVR as my other box without one was fine when I turned it on. BTW the last channel button will NOT cancel the alert. I tried every button the remote to kill it. This is something I wish they would incorpporate in a firmware update. There needs to be a way to exit from it other than just waiting it out. It really is obnoxious.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Aug 12, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. I will be certain to pass it along to our product development teams.

Aug 12, 2021

An update on the situation, in case the people in charge are following:

There were two real alerts today, and both worked fine. The functionality of my system has been returned. I can only assume that someone has done something, which I will never know about. It would be nice to be able to inform others who are suffering the problem how they might fix it.

I agree with Flhthemi, it would be nice to be able to use the Last Channel button to cancel the alert. While the mute button working is very nice, I watched today's storm come at me and then move on. A while later, the alert warned me that I better watch out. Twice. I know that the feature can exist, since I have used it in the past.

Aug 13, 2021

@Wazoo Next time you get an alert try powering off the box then turn it back on and see what you get. I was hoping when I tried it that it would kill the alert but instead it locked up my box. Guess that's the punishment for trying to avert it 😁

Aug 14, 2021

@Wazoo ,

So if you get an EAS alert on Spectrum Guide or World Box, the thing to do is to try not to make it go away, and if you let it pass, it won't lock up your box?

Satch

Aug 14, 2021

No. My situation is different now.

Flhthemi implies that his box still locks up and that I should test his method. I have not had the opportunity.

At first, I could press last channel and the alert would stop and go away.

Near the beginning of July the alerts started to always lock up the box whether I did something or nothing. Doing something really did nothing since none of the keys would respond. I resigned myself to ignoring the alerts and rebooting when I got the chance.

Starting (a week ago?) near the beginning of August, the alert goes away when completed. The mute button works but nothing else does. I have not tried to shut off the box. After the last alert, I plugged in my spare box (which is usually unplugged) and it worked fine.

Aug 16, 2021

My settop box only locks up if:

1) It is OFF and an EAS is broadcast

2) It is on and I try to avert it by turning it OFF

a. When it powers back on it's locked up

b. Then I have to boot it up again

I suppose this may be the Firmware name and version if you want to compare yours.

edited August 16 Aug 16, 2021

@FLHTHEMI ,

This is interesting! So if you power off the box during an EAS message, the box locks up and you have to manually reboot it by unplugging it to get it working again?

I assume that you are also running Spectrum Guide on a no-clock World Box? What is the model of the box you have?

Satch

edited August 17 Aug 17, 2021

This is interesting! So if you power off the box during an EAS message, the box locks up and you have to manually reboot it by unplugging it to get it working again?

Exactly!

I assume that you are also running Spectrum Guide on a no-clock World Box? What is the model of the box you have?

Have no idea of what "Spectrum Guide on a no-clock World Box" is. It's a model 210-H according to the sticker on the bottom of it.

Aug 18, 2021

Have no idea of what "Spectrum Guide on a no-clock World Box" is. It's a model 210-H according to the sticker on the bottom of it.

The Humax (H-210) box is a World Box. World Boxes are identified easily, because they don't have clocks on the front of them. Spectrum Guide is Spectrum's newest program guide software that runs on World Boxes, and is gradually being updated to the boxes with clocks on them.

Satch

• mplattnermplattner Posts: 1
    Aug 30, 2021

I get the same screen as shown by Wazoo on Aug 5 reply. The message doesn't convey any information nor is there any sound. The message does not clear itself after 5 minutes. No keys pressed on the remote have any affect to clear the screen. Only way to clear has been to unplug the box (I have a newer box without the time display) and then plug it back in. This process closes the EAS screen, but takes a reboot (takes a few minutes) to use the TV. It happened twice today. When will this be corrected? My Zip code is 92506.

• pwsternpwstern Posts: 1
    Sep 10, 2021

I get the same screen as shown by Wazoo on Aug 5 reply. It occurs once or twice a week. The message doesn't convey any information nor is there any sound. In my case, the message DOES clear itself after 5 minutes. When they occur, the weather is fine (blue skies, no wind, comfortable temperature,...). There are no Amber Alerts. There are no local emergencies. The president is not addressing the nation. I have a newer box without the time display. My zip code is 92128.

Sep 11, 2021

Hello, @pwstern,

Does your box lock up when this happens? If so, you should report this and ask Spectrum to note this on your account. If the box does not lock up, than it's not a reportable thing. The messages are an FCC occurrence that they control.

Satch