Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Attempting to install a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri Band router - Comp settings doc?

PeteSCPeteSC Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Home Networking Jul 28, 2021

Does a document exist that lists the most compatible settings for the new (old), router? DCHP, IPv6, QofS, PPPoE, PPPoA, or L2TP, MTU sizing...kind of stuff?

Tagged:

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Jul 29, 2021

Hello @PeteSC and welcome to the Spectrum Community!

These settings are usually set automatically if they are required. The DHCP is how the IP address is assigned. This is true for both IPv4 and IPv6. PPPoE and PPPoA are settings that are not needed for Internet over cable. Those settings are more commonly used to process log in information for DSL type connections. The other settings such as L2TP, MTU should be set automatically and in pretty much most cases, those would not need to be adjusted.

If you should have any further questions please let us know.

• PeteSCPeteSC Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Jul 30, 2021

Thanks much Paul...appreciate the help.

I know when I set this router up last time, I did adjust some of these (MTU maybe?), from the original factory settings. I have ethernet and wifi running in the house and streaming TV's on each plus security, etc...so want to make sure I maximize what Spectrum has to offer...

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Jul 30, 2021

MTU is one setting which can certainly be changed. It is usually a good idea to change it when you're experiencing performance issues. The MTU is basically the maximum packet size that can be transmitted over your network before it needs to be fragmented or broken up to complete it's transmission.

I found an article that might be of assistance in this area is you would like to check it out.

MTU Size: What Is It and What Should It Be Set To? - Home Network Geek

If you should have any other questions, please let us know.

Paul_B

This discussion has been closed.