Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Cisco 9865 box on Spectrum Guide - 'Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution'

BobF4BobF4 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 3 in TV Equipment Jul 30, 2021

On Monday , I swapped a 6 year old DCX3600 (ODN) with pixelation issues for the Cisco 9865 box with Spectrum Guide. From the get go. whenever I turn my years-old LG TV on, I see the infamous "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution" error message.

As I am a Spectrum employee that used to work in video repair, I've learned the steps to troubleshoot this error.

I've shut box & TV down, reseated HDMI at the box, turned the box on, waited 30 seconds, then

turned the TV on.

I've rebooted the box.

I ONLY turn the TV off and on (after turning off power save mode).

I've even replaced the HDMI cable.

Nothing seems to have resolved my problem! And, I NEVER saw this pop up on my old box. If I had known this would happen, I would have put up with the pixelation on my DCX3600.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30 Jul 30, 2021

Hi @BobF4

As a Spectrum employee, I am sure that you are aware that this is an issue affecting a small, but persistent number of sets with STB's running Spectrum Guide. I am gonna go nuts if this guide is pushed to my box on my new Samsung Series 8 TV and this is not fixed.

As you probably know, from your employee experience, pixilation is almost always a signal or line issue and not a box issue, What were your signals like? Could you get a reading? There should be a support ticket on this. Does your division have the latest Spectrum Guide Firmware? A couple markets got Spectrum Guide updates a few days ago.

Bob, when you get this screen, how long before it goes away on its own? Just as important, how old is the TV? The other day, a customer over at DSL Reports was talking about a new Sony TV that he got that was doing the same thing. Don't know what box he has, but all of this is some sort of problem with Spectrum Guide, ODN never did this. This bug needs to be squashed, because there are boxes in the field that are being converted to Spectrum Guide. I would let your division know about this ASAP and give them the make and model of your TV. As a Spectrum employee, you should have clout in getting this bug escalated so that it can be fixed. Keep us posted please!

Satch

Jul 30, 2021

@BobF4,

Another idea Bob, if you have another TV in the house, you could hook it up to Spectrum Guide and if it doesn't do the "You're TV Supports a Higher Resolution." Spectrum Guide bug, take your TV in your Spectrum truck and give it to the tech guys to have them test your TV with Spectrum Guide to see what is happening. My theory is that the Spectrum Guide Engineering team isn't getting enough STB's and sets that have this bug to do a full esclation and fix of this in the labs. Can you also post a screenshot of this bug as well, so that all of our community can see this?.

My guess is that the guys in the Spectrum Guide Development labs are getting this bug on at most 20% of the TV's running the test. But 80% of the TV's with Spectrum Guide don't have this bug. However, 20% is a huge number of subscribers with Spectrum being the second largest cable provider in the country, behind Comcast. And if this Spectrum Guide "Resolution Bug" is not fixed, that 20% of sets with this bug is going to only go up, as Spectrum Guide is pushed out to more boxes in the field.

Satch

Jul 30, 2021

The best thing for the Spectrum Guide Developers to do concerning this "Your TV Supports a Higher Resolution Bug" is to do the following:

Do a software/firmware update to the Spectrum Guide that removes this message! No other TV manufacturer has this message. No other Spectrum cable guide has this message. No other STB program guide, from any TV vendor company has this message. Just remove it from the Spectrum Guide system altogether.

Satch

• BobF4BobF4 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Aug 11, 2021

Satch,

I unfortunately do not have a Spectrum truck at my disposal. I work in a call center, and while I've done video repair in the past, I currently take Mobile calls. I went the route of swapping my box at the local store, and got yet another 9865 box with the same issue. The rep this time gave me a new HDMI cable to try. So I will wait for another firmware update. for the 9865 box that will (hopefully!) not only resolve the resolution problem, but also enables YouTube & HBO Max apps on it (available now on World boxes).

Aug 12, 2021

I unfortunately do not have a Spectrum truck at my disposal. I work in a call center, and while I've done video repair in the past, I currently take Mobile calls. I went the route of swapping my box at the local store, and got yet another 9865 box with the same issue. The rep this time gave me a new HDMI cable to try. So I will wait for another firmware update. for the 9865 box that will (hopefully!) not only resolve the resolution problem, but also enables YouTube & HBO Max apps on it (available now on World boxes).

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back to us. For community reference, what is the make and model of the TV? In my view, a higher, much higher priority, is a Spectrum Guide firmware update that kills the "Your TV supports a Higher Resolution" message before the addition of new app channels.

HBO Max is getting added in markets now on Spectrum Guide. Same along with You Tube.

Satch

Aug 22, 2021

Hi Bob,

Were you able to get this resolved, and if so, how?

Satch

This discussion has been closed.