Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Background voice commentary

maswindellmaswindell Posts: 1
in TV Equipment Jul 30, 2021

Within the last few weeks I have noticed background voice commentary on Discovery and HGTV channels and nowhere else. I assume the network is doing this but I have received no indication from them after numerous inquires. Spectrum says there is no settings that can be changed. He mentioned something but I can't remember. There are no settings on my Samsung tv that could change audio.

Because this happens on just a few channels I blame them for a sneaky trick to determine feedback from customers. I live in southern California and would like to hear from customers that have noticed this intrusion..

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31 Jul 30, 2021

Greetings,

Assume this is on your TV box settings, you want to look for a setting called "SAP" called "Second Audio Program." on your box and turn that off.

The New Spectrum Guide has Narrative Assist for people with disabilities. You will also want to go into Settings and make sure that is turned off.

I will provide a link to Spectrum products and services that allow users to turn on and off visual and audio narration on a wide variety of devices. It sounds like this is a setting that needs to be disabled on your equipment, or in your account, if you are watching those channels on a desktop PC or mobile device:

Satch

• Julia_RJulia_R Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 01, 2021

Good morning!

We certainly don't sneak in anything that would cause any irritation, I am very sorry that you feel like this is something that we would do. Our efforts are all to help you enjoy the services you subscribe to. I do believe Satch is spot on with it being a setting for Descriptive Video Service. His link will provide info on different guides, if you are not using the Spectrum guide.

Descriptive Video Service (DVS)

When turned on, DVS provides audio descriptions to narrate content. Programs with DVS Guide Narration will be audibly and visually identifiable in the guide. You can always visit your favorite networks' websites to learn more about DVS program offerings.

To turn on DVS, press the MENU button and then press the Down arrow to locate and choose Settings and Support. Your first selection in Settings and Support is Accessibility. Press OK to find Descriptive Video Service.

To turn on DVS while watching TV, press the A button and then the 2 button.

Julia_R

This discussion has been closed.