Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Connecting 2 or more routers to the internet through my Spectrum modem

Leland57WSWLeland57WSW Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Home Networking Aug 05, 2021

I am having trouble connecting 2 or more routers to the internet through my Spectrum modem. I am able to get one connected but the others ones will not. I have tried every way possible that I have read and what support has told me to do. I bought a switch but was still unsuccessful in my attempt to connect. Is Spectrum only allowing one router hookup?

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,109 ADMIN
    Aug 06, 2021

Hi and welcome!

A couple follow up questions so your peers on the Community can better offer some suggestions:

• How is your current home network set up? What equipment are you using including model of modem, router(s), switch?
    • Are you trying to solve a specific issue? If so, what is the issue?
    • What are you trying to to accomplish? (a modem and router with wired and wireless connections is typically enough to meet the average household need)

Thanks!

• Leland57WSWLeland57WSW Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Aug 07, 2021

My current set up is a Spectrum modem with 3 Netgear routers. My old spectrum modem had 4 ethernet ports in which I could connect the three routers to the modem. Last week, after a power outage, only one router was able to connect to the internet. The router that was able to boot up first would be the one that would connect. Thinking that the modem had an issue, I contacted customer support and ordered a replacement modem. As I started to set up the new modem realized that there was only one ethernet port, so I purchased a switch so I could connect the three routers to the modem. Once everything was installed I am still having the same issue as before, only one router able to connect to the internet. I would like to have my three routers wired directly to the modem.

My modem: Spectrum model ET2251

1: Netgear AX1800 model: RAX20

2:Netgear AC1750 model: R6700v3

3:Netgear AC2400 model: R7350

Switch: Netgear GS605v5

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 419 MOD
    Aug 07, 2021

Thank you for the additional information. Residential customers usually only get one public IP address per account, so that may explain why this is not working. What it doesn't explain, is how this was working previously. What is likely happening is the first router that is connecting to the modem is pulling the only available public IP address which renders the others from being unable to do so.

A few follow up questions:

1.) Were all of these routers able to pull in public IP addresses prior to the modem swap and power outage?

2.) I do not think that I have seen a configuration like this in a residential setting. What is the end result you're seeking? Are you attempting to resolve a specific issue? If so, what is the issue?

3.) If you were to connect each of these routers individually direct to the modem without the switch in the picture, do they connect that way?

• Leland57WSWLeland57WSW Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Aug 09, 2021

The answer to your first question is I don't know. I am going to assume but then I have a question to you... Why do my routers need a public IP address? ... I thought the modem uses the public IP address to communicate to the ISP servers and then the modem uses the IP addresses, from the routers, to communicate to the routers. The issue that I have is that we have a lot of devises that we use via wifi. My wife streams movies and play Facebook games and games on her tablets, my son uses it to play with PS4 and Xbox online while streaming Youtube videos and I stream a little bit from Youtube. We have all of 3 phones connected,2 smart TV's, 3 computers, a couple of Google Alexa's, a PS4, an Xbox, an amazon firestick, plus a couple of other things. I am going to assume that things have changed since getting the old modem

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 419 MOD
    Aug 12, 2021

It sounds like what you may be trying to do is use those additional routers as access points or extenders. If you're using them as true routers, they need public IP addresses in order to share out the connection to your devices.

The way this works is the first device that connects to the modem gets a public IP address which in turn allows it to connect to the Internet, in this case it would be a router. Once the router gets that public IP address it then assigns private IP addresses to your devices in order to share out the connection. If you wanted to set these additional routers up as access points, it would require some additional configuration. I would recommend contacting the manufacturers of those devices for assistance in setting those up.

• TekDudeTekDude Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Aug 26, 2021

@Leland57WSW

I have a similar setup. I have 5 routers, 1 Spectrum modem. The main router is setup for Internet and the other 4 are setup as APs (Access points). The 5 I have are Netgears R6400 - R7450. The R7450 is the main and the others are spread across each floor of my house as APs. Note, they have to be wired to the main router or switch somewhere along the route. You can set each router for a specific function. There are videos on YouTube on how to do this.

This discussion has been closed.