Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Adding WiFi access point

BRodBRod Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 10 in Home Networking Aug 10, 2021

Hello,

I have the sac2v25 wireless router. I would like to install a WiFi access point to extend the WiFi coverage to the garage. I was told that the sac2v25 router does beam steering so I set the SSID names of the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks the same so that the modem can automatically pick the best available network. Thus far the beam steering is working perfectly.

If I set the SSID’s of the new WiFi access points 2.4 and 5 GHz radios to be the same as those in the router, will the router automatically switch to using the new access point if necessary?

Thanks

Replies

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 148 MOD
    Aug 10, 2021

Good morning, BRod!

I really hope others will chime in on this great question. I think it would be dependent on what kind of wifi extenders you get. If you get over the air ones, then the router will treat the access points like other devices and connect them to whatever is best at the moment. I am not sure about the access point needing the same name because it is going to be given what is best from the main router regardless and if it were me, because I am a control-freak at times :), I would name it something slightly different so I would know what I am actually connected to device-wise (i.e., router or access point). You can always test of course. That said, if you get powerline (a type, not a brand) adapters it would push the signal over the electrical current in the home so that is a different kind of hardwired and the few folks I know who have it love it.

Just a few thoughts :)

Randy

This discussion has been closed.