Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

STBA-3802 Channel Unavailable

Harley07Harley07 Posts: 6 Spectator
edited September 2021 in Channels & Programming Aug 17, 2021

I see other users that have had the STBA-3802 issue.

Mine is a bit different, yet still annoying.

Recently we came back to Spectrum and they gave us one of those newest DVRs without a clock (no clock? WHY"?)

Anyway, when watching a show, if you Pause, within about less than 10 minutes we get the STBA-3802 Channel Unavailable.

When you get back into the show, you have lost everything in the Buffer.

This has been especially noticeable on channel 38 Hallmark. (I guess because we watch Hallmark a lot.)

We have called service multiple times which usually ends with them having us un-plug the DVR, wait 30 seconds and plugging back in.

This does nothing to resolve this issue.

ANY ideas???

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 435 Moderator
    Aug 18, 2021

I apologize for the issues you're having with your box. I can understand how this would be frustrating. If rebooting the box does not resolve this issue, it may be necessary to schedule a service call to have a tech come out to look into this. I am going to reach out to you via PM to gather some account information so that we can get something scheduled for you.

Paul_B

• Harley07Harley07 Posts: 6 Spectator
    Aug 24, 2021

Service tech came out.

Replaced the cable from the pole to the house.

Checked cables in the house.

Replaced cable ends on cable in house.

STBA-3802 Channel Unavailable, again, on channel 38 within minutes after tech left.

Issue seems to come and go.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,396 Contributor
    edited August 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Service tech came out.

Replaced the cable from the pole to the house.

Checked cables in the house.

Replaced cable ends on cable in house.

STBA-3802 Channel Unavailable, again, on channel 38 within minutes after tech left.

Issue seems to come and go.

Greetings,

What is sticking out to me is that based on this information, the tech did not check your signals and drop line. Call back, and say that you want a service call for a signal and drop line test. When the next tech comes, you should tune to the Hallmark Channel and have him take a signal reading for that channel.

The no clock World Boxes are the new technology that Spectrum is adding, and also updating existing clock boxes in the field to this format because of the following:

1.) Spectrum wants the new Spectrum Guide to be across devices and the whole company footprint to make updates more uniform.

2.) The new guide allows Spectrum to add TV apps for subs like Netflix (billed through Netflix), HBO Max (Free with HBO subscription) and forthcoming apps that are not possible on the old guides.

The World Boxes are more sensitive to weak signals, so make sure you get your drop line checked. Swapping the box won't fix bad signals. If your signals are good, than a new box might be needed.

I Google searched this information and it seems that most of the time, the STBA 3802 is due to poor signals. See here:

Regarding that article, Never try to open up or modify a Spectrum box or any equipment! You could be charged fines for tampering with the boxes. Bad boxes should only be returned to a Spectrum office, or replaced by Spectrum.

You can also contact Spectrum Customer Care to request signal monitoring for your equipment, They can set that up for 30 days to see how your signals are coming into your home. Because of the storms we have had around the country. I would really suspect damage to your drop line that needs to be replaced.

Satch

Aug 24, 2021

I'm pretty sure that he did check the drop line test before and after he replaced the line from the pole to the house.

(that cable was probably at least 20 years old.)

He had to Add a splitter because the signal was too strong.

I'm not sure he specifically tested the signal while on channel 38 (hallmark).

Requesting request signal monitoring for 30 days sounds like it 'could' provide some insight for the tech(s).

Aug 25, 2021

@Harley07 ,

I think calling Spectrum to set up signal monitoring for your CATV equipment for 30 days sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted on this.

Satch

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,200 ADMIN
    Aug 25, 2021

@Harley07

Have you also tried restarting the cable box ?

Aug 27, 2021

Reboot, Reboot, Reboot Several times

Reboot is NOT the answer, but probably 99% of the time that is what we are told to do!

IF it was possible I would think going back to an older technology DVR would resolve 95% of all these issues.

But, I would hate to go back to only recording 2 shows at a time. For me, 3 would be good and the 4 is great. 2 at a time was a pain with recording conflicts.

I'm pretty sure though that this HUMAX SPECTRUM 200 DVR-HD "Worldbox" is just Loaded with Bugs. Spectrum should sue to get their (our) money back.

Last Saturday the tech replaced the drop line from the pole into the house. He checked the cables inside the house. He replaced the cable ends on the inside cables to the DVR and the Modem.

Tech is coming, again, tomorrow.

BTW: No issues with the modem/internet or the phone... It's just the TV receiver and remote.

Latest thing the box did was yesterday when it just turned itself Off in the middle of a show. I had to turn it back on manually.

Aug 27, 2021

I am a bit confused on the subject of "signal strength," almost all the articles I have read about these World boxes state that they are highly susceptible to 'weak' signals.

That we should request Spectrum to check the signal strength.

However, last Saturday the tech replaced cables and cable ends then added a Splitter because, "the signal was too strong."

Within a half hour, after he left, we had the STBA-3802 error again.

Aug 27, 2021

My list for the tech visit tomorrow: (Model 210-A World box)

• Sometimes remote Freezes ...
    • Sometimes will not Pause ...
    • Sometimes will not Rewind ...
    • Yesterday box turned itself off in the middle of a show ...
      • Had to turn back on manually.
    • Often when Paused, we get STBA-3802 Channel not available after only a few minutes. When you get back into the show, you have lost everything in the Buffer.
    • Sometimes when changing channels we get Channel not available try again later.

Getting really frustrated

edited August 2021 Aug 27, 2021

I don't get that signal is too strong either, Please have him test signal strength on Hallmark Channel 38. Also set up signal monitoring for your box.

With all these tech visits, did he ever replace the box? I would look at this as an option for tomorrow's visit.

Let this tech know you have had multiple techs out and nothing has been resolved.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.