Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

How do I connect my own router to Spectrum modem?

simkinsimkin Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Home Networking Aug 20, 2021

I called the support and they told me to connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to a yellow port on my router. All yellow ports on my router are LAN. I did that anyway. When I connect my computer to another LAN port of the router the computer has internet connection. But I don't get any internet connection via WiFi.

When I had DSL I connected the modem to the WAN port of the router.

Best Answer

Replies

• LGTLGT Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭
    Aug 20, 2021

One of the ports on your router will be labeled WAN. It will be identified somehow, sometimes it is by color or sometimes it is labeled WAN. That is the port your modem must be attached to. The LAN ports won't give you full connectivity. If it is not obvious which port is the WAN port I would suggest going through your router's user manual it will explain this in the setup section.

• simkinsimkin Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Aug 21, 2021

Well, I connected it to WAN the first place and did not get any internet on the PC connected to a LAN port of the router. I called support and they told to connect Ethernet cable from the modem to a yellow port of the router (those are all LAN on my router). This way I do get internet on my PC. From what I figured out it seems that's the setup when the router works as an access point.

When I connect the PC directly to the modem I immediately get Internet without setting any broadband connection. This suggests that the modem is not in a bridge mode. When I used DSL I had to set up a broadband connection when PC was connected directly to DSL modem.

So what mode is the Spectrum modem in? PPOE, or what? If I connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to WAN port what WAN connection type should I chose?

This discussion has been closed.