Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

New 4742HDC DVR Previous Channels

Kevin903Kevin903 Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Sep 01, 2021

On all my old receivers and DVR I was able to hit the down or up arrow and see the last 12 channels I viewed and easily select one of those. On this new DVR I do not see a way to access that very handy feature. Is it gone now or will another key on the remote initiate that feature? I may return it to get an older model if not.

Thanks,

Replies

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 392 MOD
    Sep 03, 2021

Hello @Kevin903. Thank you for your post.

That feature should still be available. I am not seeing any indication that it has been removed. I would like to get a closer look at the receiver(s) that you have to see if we can determine what is going on. I am going to send you a private message requesting some account information so I can check into this.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 06, 2021

Hi @Kevin903

Just to add to @Paul_B 's message, getting to this feature depends on the type of program guide software you have on your box:

If you have the new Spectrum Guide, and press the Menu button on your remote, and than scroll to "My Library", your recent;y viewed channels should be there. See this link for details:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-guide-my-library/

If you are running the ODN Guide. you will want to make sure that "Recently Viewed" is turned on in Settings:

1.) Press Settings on Remote

2.) Go to "Display"

3.) Check to make sure Recently Viewed is turned on.

Remember for Recently Viewed to Work:

1.) The feature must be turned on in Settings

2.) You must view a channel for about 10 seconds for it to register in the strip.

3.) 14 channels combined through On Demand Viewing, DVR Viewing, or Live TV, can be on the strip before the oldest channel in the strip gets dropped.

4.) A reboot of the box or power outage may clear the strip.

5.) Adults only program does not show up in Recently Viewed to to protect children and families from seeing such content.

If Recently Viewed does not come back after following the above guidelines, I would suggest a reboot of the box.

Satch

• Kevin903Kevin903 Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Sep 07, 2021

I had mentioned that I can see previous channels when pressing the menu button on the remote. When you scroll down to those you see the channels but not what is playing on them (Show Name). This method requires 3 more steps and does not show the information that the old box did. You took away the nice arrow down button that has no use on the new remote?

Also, your instructions are off, I press menu button (no settings button on new remote), I go to settings and there is no Display tab? Remember I have the new 4742 receiver. You no doubt have one , try it.

Using the new remote too. I even tried the old remote that has setting button and same problem no display tab?

Thanks, Kevin

Sep 07, 2021

Hi Kevin,

We need to find out exactly what guide you have. Google search, "What Guide do I have?, Spectrum" The first page you click on will ask for your street address, enter that, and tell us your guide. If you can post a screenshot, that would be cool as well!

Thanks,

Satch

• Kevin903Kevin903 Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Sep 07, 2021

Here you go!

edited September 7 Sep 07, 2021

Hi Kevin,

You have the new Spectrum Guide software on your box. You can still access Recently Viewed channels, but no longer like you could with the ODN guide The Up/down functionality when watching a show to bring up the Recently Viewed strip does not exist in Spectrum Guide.

To get to Recently Watched in Spectrum Guide, you must go to the "My Library" option by pressing the Menu button: (In new Spectrum Guide, "Recently Viewed" is now called, "Recently Watched.")

To access programming in My Library:

1. Press Menu on your remote.
    2. Navigate to My Library using the arrow buttons and then press OK/Select.
    3. Here you’ll be able to browse for programming in the following categories:
      • Recordings: Displays recorded content stored in My DVR.
      • Recently Watched: Displays the most recently watched programming, as well as those that will expire soon.
      • Favorites: Lists the networks that have been marked as Favorites in the Guide.
      • Watchlist: Displays all of the On Demand titles that you’ve saved for future viewing.
      • Suggestions: Automatically generates and suggests popular programming.
    4. Use the arrow buttons on your remote to browse through programming, highlight a title you’d like to watch and then press OK/Select to view available program options.

Recordings

The Recordings category displays recorded content stored in My DVR.

Find out how to manage your recordings and DVR settings in the new Spectrum Guide.

Recently Watched

The Recently Watched category displays programming that you’ve recently watched.

Note: It may take up to 45 minutes for programming to appear in the Recently Watched section. This section includes any channels that were tuned to and watched for at least one minute and the last three On Demand assets. These will appear first, followed by eight recently watched channels.

I have the Cisco 9865 DVR box with the older ODN Guide software with the up/down arrow Recently Viewed strip. My box has not been converted to the new Spectrum Guide system. I agree with you that Spectrum should include an update to Spectrum Guide that will at least allow the "My Library" screen to appear when pressing the up/down buttons in the guide, so that "My Library" could appear and customers could get to Recently Watched channels easier. This request should be forwarded to the Spectrum Guide Development Team.

Even if you switch to a box with the older ODN software, the boxes with clocks are gradually being updated to the new Spectrum Guide overnight during Spectrum's 12-5am maintenance window.. I agree that it is more cumbersome to get to the Recently Viewed Menu on Spectrum Guide than it is on ODN.

Satch