Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Sagemon Wifi router jumps to the weakest channel

JLingenfelderJLingenfelder Posts: 1 Newcomer
in Home Networking Sep 02, 2021

I use a wifi analyzer to check the signal and channel strength for both the 2.4 G and 5.0 G. The analyzer shows the signal strengths are excellent (30 to 40 dBm) however both the laptop and cellphone will lose connectivity or show very poor signal strength. The router channel selection is set to auto for both (2.4 & 5.0), yet auto selects the weakest channel.

If I go into the GUI and manually change the channel to a strong channel, the analyzer immediately displays the new channel as now the weakest of the available channels. As you can see in this image, this is the result after the router showed 149 as the channel Auto selected and the analyzer showed it to be the weakest channel and 36 the strongest. So, I changed the channel to 36 and this is the result.

So, I'd like to know what is going on. Auto appears to default to the weakest possible channel and if I rely on setting the channel, then that channel becomes the weakest.

Best Answer

• LGTLGT Posts: 133 Contributor
    Sep 02, 2021 Accepted Answer

The screenshot you posted is not actually showing signal strength it is showing how “crowded” each channel is (I.e. how many devices are connected to each channel). If your router is using channel 36 all your devices are going to connect to it and it then will get a low star rating. When you set your router to a channel that is empty, 146 in your case, all your devices then connect on channel 146 and boom it is now the most crowded and 36 is suddenly empty.

What this graphic is usually used for is when you are in a area where many access points are operating like an apartment or a very dense neighborhood. That way people can choose a channel different than their neighbors to avoid conflict.

This discussion has been closed.