Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Spectrum Support says Spectrum doesn't use DNS?

dnsfreednsfree Posts: 6 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 05, 2021

This is randomly occurring.

It’s not site specific but happens on some sights more frequently than others.

The most common error message is l “This site can’t be reached” followed by asking if there is a typo in the address. Sometimes just hitting the reload this page button will open the page and sometimes it doesn’t. Some error messages reference IP address.   I'm not sure how this would work but I was told on chat, on the phone and by the team lead on the phone that DNS problems couldn't be a Spectrum issue because Spectrum doesn't use DNS. Anyone here have advice for dns problems. Windows Diagnostics reports Issues found Your DNS server might be unavailable

3 different support people told me I couldn't be a spectrum problem because they don't use DNS

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,004 ADMIN
    Sep 07, 2021

Hi and welcome!

I believe there is a misunderstanding here. We provide the internet signal. If a website is not resolving, then the DNS information needs to be updated, which is something the website provider does. You may also get a similar message if there is a connection issue with the device.

Does this occur with a specific website? Does this issue occur on different devices?

• dnsfreednsfree Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Sep 08, 2021

It seems unlikely to me that spectrum doesn't use DNS but here is the problem.

I have an R6700v3 — Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router

I have an ongoing randomly occurring internet problem.

It’s not site specific but happens on some sites more frequently than others.

The most common error message is “This site can’t be reached” followed by asking if there is a typo in the address. Sometimes just hitting the reload this page button will open the page and sometimes it doesn’t. Some error messages reference IP address.   

This is happening on 2 window computers connected to my wifi router which is connected to the Spectrum modem.

It isn’t happening on my cellphones connected though the same router but I think they are set up with a different DNS server.

“”

Windows Network Diagnostics details

Issues found

Your DNS server might be unavailable Windows can’t find the host name "crossmark connect.force.com" using DNS. Contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider Issues found Detection details

“”

This issue is recurring randomly and not limited to crossmark.com.

The last Spectrum employee was sure it was a router problem and couldn’t help me because I didn’t get the router from them. She also said Spectrum doesn’t use DNS.

Using a VPN fixes the problem but that creates a plethora of problems I can see and God only knows what I can't see. I imagine that I could change to a different DNS.

• toolman1990toolman1990 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 08, 2021

I have been experiencing this issue as well. It seems to have been corrected once Spectrum resolved the internet outage they had yesterday in the Midwest.

Sep 08, 2021

Have you also tried restarting the modem as well as clearing the browsing history, cache and cookies?

Sep 09, 2021

Yes.

Also flushed DNS cache,

Among other actions, I've restarted Modem, router, computers, tablets, and phones. verified no unidentified device connected to router. Spectrum support is really lacking on this. While I'm not a techie I think I've removed most of the simple issues. I think using a VPN bypasses Spectrum's DNS server choice and goes to whatever server the VPN is set up to use. I would think that would indicated the Spectrum DNS server is not functioning correctly. Maybe if I would get the IP address for the Spectrum DNS server and enter that directly into the configuration on my router that would fix the problem at least until they change it.

This seems like a fairly simple issue for an expert Spectrum Support employee. Perhaps they could chime in here.

Sep 13, 2021

Can anyone verify that...

Spectrum doe not use DNS? I'm guessing they do use DNS.

How do they connect me to websites 99 % of the time without DNS?

How do I fix what looks like a DNS problem when I connect to Spectrum?

I've spent time looking for a problem on my system. How do I verify that whatever system Spectrum uses is not the problem?

Can anyone put a name to the system Spectrum uses instead of DNS?

Should companies like Spectrum be required to provide real support?

Sep 13, 2021

My router is set to " Domain Name Server (DNS) Address Get Automatically from ISP "

Should it be set to something else?

I'm not asking for the world here. I just need a tech that knows

1 - Spectrum does use DNS

2 - Fairies and Dragons aren't the problem.

3 - What setting I should use on my router if that is the problem.

4 - How to rule out problems that could be my side of the internet connection and Spectrum's side.

Sep 13, 2021

What happens when you connect directly to the modem?

Sep 14, 2021

Thank you, It hadn't occurred to me. I 'll do that. Seems obvious now that you mentioned it.

The sort of thing I would have expected when I contacted Spectrum support 3 times.

Is anyone on this board actually a Spectrum employee?

Sep 14, 2021

If the issue does not occur on a direct connect to the modem, then the issue is with the Nighthawk router. You may want to check the Netgear Community for a solution.

• Woody_Woody_ Posts: 2
    Sep 14, 2021

Most routers support allow you to specify DNS resolvers. I have mine set to the Cloudflare resolvers and have used the Google resolvers in the past. If you can't modify your router's settings obviously this won't help.