Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Slow upstream speed in LA

jlgustafsonjlgustafson Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Sep 06, 2021

Hi all,

I upgraded to 400/20 last year and it has been solid until about 2 weeks ago. The upstream speed now tests between 1Mbps to 10Mbps, and when at night its usually toward the lower, causing lags and other issues. The download speed seems totally fine, constantly above 400.

I have a Motorola 8600, docsis 3.1 modem (owned) and the connection page seems normal as well as no errors in the log.

Any idea why only the upload speed ONLY would be impacted for the last 2 weeks? seems to be an issue with Spectrum, but not sure how to troubleshoot that.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,004 ADMIN
    Sep 07, 2021

Hi and welcome!

Have you tried restarting the modem? Restarting the equipment usually resolves most issues.

• jlgustafsonjlgustafson Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Sep 08, 2021

Thanks, I reset the modem, and it did not get any better... still have a terrible upload speed. Right now I tested it with the Spectrum speed test, and it was only 1.8Mbps upstream. I am noticing the Pwr for 2 upstream channels are so I'll check for kinks in the line and at connections when I get a chance, but it's odd that the downstream is ok.

ChannelLock StatusChannel TypeChannel IDSymb. Rate (Ksym/sec)Freq. (MHz)Pwr (dBmV)   

1 Locked OFDM 1 20400 2.8 47.2   

2 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 30.6 50.8   

3 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 37.0 51.0

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,004 ADMIN
    Sep 08, 2021

When was the last time you had a service call?

• karlbeckmankarlbeckman Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9 Sep 09, 2021

If you are not seeing at least 4 bonded uplink channels, all with levels not exceeding 50 dBmV, you have a service problem. It could be located anywhere between your cable box and the head end, but over 90% are in your home or in the drop wire from your home to the street pole or service pedestal.

Before you call for a home service visit, check the cables and equipment in your home, looking for a slightly loose nut on an F connector. If any nut is loose, tighten it with a 7/16" wrench. This is the only time customers should use any tools to fix their Spectrum service. Call for a tech visit if your inspection doesn't clear up the problem.