Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Input of Channels

elcaminoelcamino Posts: 18 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Sep 15, 2021

Friend of mine who has just signed up for Spectrum TV got a new remote from them and is having a strange problem which I cannot duplicate on my Spectrum remote. Seems like he can directly input channel number if it is 1, 2, or 3 digits, but cannot if it is 4 (music channels, etc.). Tried several things but none worked. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 16, 2021

Hello,

This is the first I have heard of this issue with decades of cable experience. Check the following things in order:

1.) Without aiming the remote at the TV and doing a 4-button press, do all 4 button presses light up the numbers or the CATV light with a strong light emit? If they do, than we know that the batteries are good. If they don't, get some fresh batteries in the remote and replace them.

2.) Now, when pointing at the box, make sure that he is pointing directly within line of site at the center of the box and slightly downward. Can he get that fourth digit to show on the screen when entering it? If he still can't, make sure that nothing is blocking the line of site between the remote and the TV. I have seen many instances where people will sit in a chair where the TV is angled off to the left or right of their viewing and they will hit something like the System/All Power button and not be at that center of box and slightly downward field and their box/tv won't turn off.

3.) If he has done #1 and #2, I would get a tech out to show him this problem. This could be a signal to box problem with the remote if the range is not obstructed and the batteries are good. I would not recommend just getting another remote, without showing this issue to a tech and having him try it on-site.. The tech can look at signals and lines and see if there might be something in those areas causing that fourth digit to not be entered.

Satch

• elcaminoelcamino Posts: 18 ✭✭✭
    Sep 16, 2021

Satch,

Thanks for the info. I will let him know of your suggestions.

Paul

This discussion has been closed.