Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Why is Spectrum Call Guard Only Blocking The Same Number in 'My Account?'

SatchSatch Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 23 in Digital Phone Sep 21, 2021

Guys,

Has anyone checked their Call Guard Settings in My Account? Call Guard seems to be blocking only one different number per day. But it always seems to be the exact same number throughout the day. The next day, a new different number will be blocked multiple times.

Shouldn't we be seeing multiple numbers being blocked by Call Guard on the same day? This has been as issue in "My Account" since the roll-out of Call Guard.

Note that my Call Guard is working fine and I also have Nomorobo activated as well. But this issue of Call Guard reporting one same number each day, instead of multiple blocked numbers seems strange..

The added file illustrates what I am talking about.

Satch

Replies

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 137 MOD
    Sep 21, 2021

Good morning Satch! It's been a while and good to see you.

That is interesting and I am wondering if those are spoofed numbers that Call Guard has picked up on and assigning that number. If you click the dropdown arrow on the right of the row, does that provide additional information? In most cases the dropdown just gives the time of the call. Check to see the time stamps on those and see if you see a pattern.

Its obvious I am making an educated guess but I will do further research and am hopeful other community members may have insights or ideas.

Randy

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 21, 2021

Hi Randy,

I clicked that right arrow next to the number. It's just the date and the time for the number, But the stangeness is that for that same number, the drop down arrow shows the same number and date and time throughout the day.

This means that if Call Guard is blocking the spammy number, all it is doing is showing the same number and time when it comes in to Call Guard throughout the day:

If the date is 9/14/21 and the call is 123-456-789 all you see throughout the day are multiple instances of that same number. When the day changes, all you see are the same instances of a different number throughout the day.

If Call Guard data was correct in My Account, we should be seeing different numbers and different times throughout the day for blocked calls.

Call Guard may be working blocking the calls, but it should be showing more than one call throughout the day in My Account, and it currently does not. You can't log Call Guard's blocked calls in "My Account." Seems like a bug.

Satch

• catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 21, 2021

I've seen the same issue and this is not the first time it has happened although with different phone numbers. Here's a screenshot taken 9/21/21 at 4:20 PM ET.

Sep 21, 2021

I am wondering if it has something to do with having both NomoRobo running and Call Guard. I ask because if you have our voicemail and an answering machine they may take turns at who grabs the call first. It's not a great parallel but my thought is, what if NomoRobo snatches the call and causes Call Guard to not get the full information it needs to log so it is just plugging in that last bit of info it successfully grabbed? My next question is if you would consider turning off NomoRobo and see if Call Guard starts logging correctly. @catchtwentytwo ... do you have both Call Guard and NomoRobo running at the same time?

Randy

Sep 21, 2021

Randy:

How long should Call Guard be left off?

I do not have NomoRobo at this time, it won't allow me to reenable it saying my number is in use. Nomorobo's process to restore the number to my account doesn't work (no recovery text sent).

Thanks

Sep 21, 2021

Randy,

Before I knew that Nomorobo was activatable again through a seperate process, we just had Spectrum Call Guard for about four months with the exact same number repeating throughout the day and a new number doing the same thing the following day, just as the above photos illustrate, so I don't think Nomorobo is connected with this problem for the above reasons.

To emphasize again. Call Guard seems to be working. The only problem is the strangness of Call Guard in My Account blocking the same number with the same time stamp throughout the day. Than the next day or so, a new phone number gets blocked with only that number being blocked.

Personally, I love having Nomorobo and Call Guard together, because it provides the best layers of phone spam protection.

Satch

edited September 21 Sep 21, 2021

Question for the Community,

Does anyone not have Nomorobo, or they have Nomorobo turned off, and they only have Call Guard, turned on, (Call Blocking on with Caller ID Alerts on?) and they are seeing the exact same results shown in the above photos, but with a different phone number? For myself, I don't want to turn off either Call Guard or Nomorobo. But other Spectrum users and Spectrum staffers can test to see what effect that has on the phone numbers being logged by Call Guard in "My Account." I do not use Spectrum Voicemail, and have never activated that feature. (We have an answering machine.)

Once it reaches the point where different spam numbers are being reported in My Account throughout the day with different time stamps, than we will know that this issue is solved.

Satch

• alamomanalamoman Posts: 1
    Sep 22, 2021

So i had nomorobo off and call guard on 3 months and this all that is in my call log:

The log says on 8/30 it blocked 18 calls from +27 1622011745 and they all have the timestamp 9:16 pm. Then on 8/31 it says it blocked 14 calls from +27 16 366 0349 and they all have the timestamp 12:15 am... later that day it says it blocked 6 calls from +27 4475362156 and they all have the timestamp 6:27pm. The last day it blocked calls was 9/18 when it says it blocked 13 calls from +33 3095726382 and they all have the timestamp 6:45pm.

During the last 3 months the caller id on tv hardly ever worked.

Last night I turned of call guard and when back to using nomorobo.

Sep 22, 2021

I turned off Call Guard and signed off. When I signed back in that made no difference in the Blocked Callers list.

edited September 22 Sep 22, 2021

@alamoman,

Your Caller ID on TV notification I think is a seperate issue and if you call Spectrum to let them know that you are having problems with it, they can pull up your account and get a ticket escalated on that. We had that issue years ago, but have not had that problem since. If you have Spectrum Voice and Spectrum Cable TV, you should get Caller ID on TV within 24 hours of a boxes' activation.

For the rest of our community:

Keep the reports of the issues with the "My Account" Call Logs coming. We can obviously see that when Call Guard was introduced it was never logging spam calls properly in "My Account." I do not not know of a single Spectrum Customer that had or has Call Guard correctly logging different blocked calls each day in "My Account." For Spectrum customers and Spectrum staffers, I wager that everyone is having the same issues with the same Call Guard number being logged over and over throughout the day, with the same Time Stamp throughout the day. Each day brings one new blocked number that gets blocked multiple times.

This sounds more and more like a Call Guard design flaw within the My Account Settings. I would recommend that our forum mods reach out to the "My Account" website developers for the Call Guard blocking settings.

Satch

Sep 27, 2021

We can obviously see that when Call Guard was introduced it was never logging spam calls properly in "My Account." I do not not know of a single Spectrum Customer that had or has Call Guard correctly logging different blocked calls each day in "My Account." For Spectrum customers and Spectrum staffers, I wager that everyone is having the same issues with the same Call Guard number being logged over and over throughout the day, with the same Time Stamp throughout the day. Each day brings one new blocked number that gets blocked multiple times.

This sounds more and more like a Call Guard design flaw within the My Account Settings. I would recommend that our forum mods reach out to the "My Account" website developers for the Call Guard blocking settings.

Satch

Any updates on the above issues? We are all having the same above issues regardless of whether Nomrobo is turned on or not. If "My Account" Call Guard blocks anything, it is the same number, and same time stamp throughout the day, The next day is a different number and the process repeats itself.

We now know that Call Guard in "My Account" needs to be giving its users different blocked numbers throughout the day with different time stamps. Once that happens, Call Guard will be able to give Spectrum Voice subscribers a true blocked call history each day. Than, all Spectrum Voice users will be able to actually see every blocked call, and the date and time that it comes in when logged into "My Account."

Satch

• maxplanarmaxplanar Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited September 28 Sep 28, 2021

All Call Guard has done for me for the entire month of September is block this one number. It's the same number every time. I appreciate that it is stopping it, but it's not stopping the other 10-20 robocalls I get every day, including obvious ones like 'V' numbers or non-ten-digit numbers, or numbers that begin with '1' (after some random area code). I have Nomorobo activated on the line too, not that that's a tremendous amount of help, but it's better than Call Guard for sure. Call Guard is abut as useful as a bird submarine.

Sep 28, 2021

Thank you. On that page you should have a link to report misidentified calls. We are aware of your experience/feedback here of course but it would hurt to report it via the link on that page as well.

Thank you.

Randy

edited September 28 Sep 28, 2021

Thank you. On that page you should have a link to report misidentified calls. We are aware of your experience/feedback here of course but it would hurt to report it via the link on that page as well.

Hi Randy,

The problem with doing that is so many customers are still recieving tons of calls that Call Guard is not blocking. Nomorobo remains absolutely essential to have on as a second layer of call spam protection because Call Guard is nowhere near good enough to function on its own. There's litteraly no good in blocking a number if twenty more come in day after day, night after night.

In my area, Call Guard combined with Nomorobo works better. But that experiance has not been the same with many other Spectrum customers where Call Guard despite being turned on has been useless for them. In those instances, if they still were not able to use Nomorobo on their Spectrum Voice lines, they would have no spam call protection at all.

Additionally It is a severe problem, that the same number and timestamp is showing up throughout the day for every single customer and Spectrum employee logged into My Account for their Spectrum Voice Call Guard log. That is a horrible, awful, oversite by the design team for that feature! In the Spectrum employee tests, someone should have said, "Whoa, Call Guard in My Account is showing the same number every day in Call History, with the same time stamp. This needs immediate attention from our Call Guard design team." It should not have taken customer feedback to point out this flaw. Every Spectrum Employee and Customer has the issue of Call Guard logging in one number and the same time stamp throughout the day when logged into "My Account."

I would give Nomorobo a grade of B+ In my division, I would give Call Guard a C. In other divisions, based on customers with whom I have communicated, Call Guard gets a generous D. Call Guard's call log in "My Account?" An F- across the board. You can't do any kind of daily Call History checks in My Account if Call Guard only blocks one number per day!

Satch

edited October 2 Oct 02, 2021

I agree with Satch that something is broken with Call Guard, either in the user interface or the application itself. My Blocked Caller List hasn't changed since 9/21/21 showing six duplicates all with the same date & time stamp (9/21/21 @ 5:21 PM). It is hard to believe there haven't been any blocked calls in 11 days. I've tried turning off Call Guard on & off and that makes no change and we still get spam calls daily. I report those that get through using https://spamreport.spectrum.com/charter/. Several of them have called multiple times per day and even leave voicemails (Auto Warranty Telemarketers).

Oct 02, 2021

Yes,

@catchtwentytwo I have the same issue with Call Guard in "My Account" blocking the same number multiple times a day. Four times on 9/21/21 with the same number and time stamp. Than nine times on 9/14/21 with a different number and the same time stamp.

I have Call Guard and Nomorobo activated and unlike your situation my calls are getting blocked. Maybe like once or twice a week someone gets through, but it's reasonable. However,we all have the same issue, Meaning Spectrum employees and customers can not use My Account to log block calls because it is the same number and time stamp over and over again. Call Guard's Blocked call list in My Account has been doing this for everyone since its rollout.

Asking around and nobody has had Call Guard in "My Account" reporting different numbers and times throughout the day like any call blocker is supposed to be doing. Additionally, it would be theoretically impossible for the same number to call 15 times in a single day with no time change to the time stamp. This proves that something in the design of Call Guard call logging in My Account is broken.

No Call Guard call log activity in "My Account" for October at all as of October 2, 2021 11:42am (CST) Maybe this means that they have turned off Call Guard call logging and are working on the issue?

Satch

Oct 02, 2021

Satch: Hopefully some other users will share their Call Guard situation by piggybacking on this post. As you say, the more the better.

Oct 06, 2021

Some good progress to report!

Today, for the first time since Call Guard was rolled out, it actually blocked two different numbers on the same day in "My Account." settings.! October 5, 2021. The Time Stamp still shows the same time for those different numbers, 6:31 PM. But at least there is progress. I am in the Metro Milwaukee area of Wisconsin.

Satch

edited October 6 Oct 06, 2021

Yesterday our Call Guard Blocked Call List showed one number blocked, the first since 9/21/21.

1. Call Guard Blocked Call Timestamp is 6:15 PM but Call Log shows 2:15 PM. I checked this right after the call came in. Why the 4 hour difference?
    2. Call Rang through despite showing in Call Guard Blocked Call List