Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Internet connection dropping?

MLGemzMLGemz Posts: 1
in Connectivity Sep 23, 2021

A few months ago, our internet kept dropping, so we made an appointment for a technician to come out. He replaced a couple connections outside of the house and said the internet dropping was most likely due to fluctuations in the weather conditions. Within a day, the internet continued to drop, sometimes after a day, sometimes after 30 minutes. This time, I reset my NetGear router, and the internet would remain connected for a couple weeks at a time.

About 2 weeks ago, it started dropping several times a day. This time, I went to Spectrum, replaced my Spectrum modem and replaced my router with a Spectrum router. I also replaced the HDMI cable between the modem and the router. The internet still continued to drop once a day, so we scheduled a technician to come out.

The second technician was very thorough. He checked for signal leakage throughout the house, isolated a leakage and replaced all connections. He also replaced the modem and the router. The internet stayed connected for about 18 hours and dropped again. I called Spectrum to request another technician to trouble shoot our problem. The Spectrum representative on the phone noted that our internet signal was “timing out”.

What could be the cause of our internet connectivity issues?

Best Answer

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,065 ADMIN
    Sep 24, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hi and welcome!

Timing out, also known as T4 errors, is when interference impacts your internet signal. It can be caused by many different reasons, but it is typically some type of signal interference. Loose connections or damaged coax cables are common culprits. It can be impacted by extreme heat or cold, or other weather events such as rain or lightning. For these reasons, a service call is needed because we need to have eyes on to investigate the issue. It is not uncommon for a follow-up call to be needed, and in these cases, the technician will take a deeper look and will have access to the troubleshooting the previous technician completed. They will be able to make needed repairs or signal adjustments to get your service working correctly again.

Please let us know how the service call goes, and let us know if you have additional questions!