Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

DCX-3600M (Model ID:AR362GA)- old OS? Severe usability issues

mikeromomikeromo Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 29 in TV Equipment Sep 29, 2021

hi all!

I had an old Motorola DVR that was starting to fall apart, so I went to the Spectrum Store and replaced it with a new one, the Arris DCX-3600M (that's what it says on the box, according to the OS it's model AR362GA). While I appreciate the fast hard drive and six tuners, I don't appreciate literally anything else. I have to think that it's not updating the OS because I am running into significant usability issues, listed here that have been available on all the other DVRs I've ever used::

• No option to display time while DVR is "on" and turned to a channel; it just shows the channel #
  • No way to set the number of recordings. So now we have 42 episodes of Househunters International. I want no more than 7!
  • No way to mass delete shows--remember the 42 episodes? I have to delete them one by one.

I have gone through all the setup menus--super easy, since there are so few options to tweak. I do have the box hooked up to my home network via ethernet, just like the old box--we're using a cable modem so I am not even sure if that's needed but old habits.

I actually returned the box thinking I got one that had networking issues but I am getting the same problems. Any suggestions to get the box to operate like it's 2018 would be great.

Thanks for reading.

-mike

Best Answer

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    Sep 29, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hi Mike,

What guide is on the box? Is it the new Spectrum Guide or the ODN Guide? Photos can be found here:

More questions:

1.) Did they give you a new remote with the box? Or the same remote?.

2.) Did those 42 episodes come on the box? The new boxes are supposed to come with no recordings on them and the hard drive refomated.

Can't go further til we know what guide you have because the steps are different, and it also depends on what remote you have and guide you have to get through the steps. I have the ODN Guide and can help best with that. ODN is the guide right above this message.

Satch

Replies

• mikeromomikeromo Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited October 5 Oct 05, 2021

Hi there--

thanks for the reply.

So, it's the new Spectrum guide--the top one. Looks nice, lacks functionality.

1 - New Remote

2 - The DVR was empty when I got it. HGTV just loves playing Househunters shows.

I have gone into the more technical menus and looked at options there but straight-up "Settings menu" just is super anemic.

thanks!

mike

edited October 5 Oct 05, 2021

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response! Found help on how to delete series recordings:

Here is tons more information about how to use Spectrum Guide:

Does anyone else know how to get to the Time/Clock settings on Spectrum Guide for boxes with a front panel clock display? This I have not been able to find.

Mike, there should be something in there when you get to the series set up screen for "Episodes to keep" you should be able to toggle the left and right arrow keys on the remote to select the number of episodes to save.

Update: Mike I just checked and I am not sure if there is a way to select a specific number of episodes to save in Spectrum Guide? Looking at the top menu option on the right, it may be all episodes, or new only. That is a letdown!

Satch

• mikeromomikeromo Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Oct 06, 2021

Hi Satch—

thanks for you attempt to help—as you can see, the functionality is just really, truly bad. I am going to try to see if I can get an older box or something. I just don’t know how the new software can be such a step backward.

thanks again for your reply, that was nice of you!

• rickpoetrickpoet Posts: 1
    Oct 16, 2021

I think I'm in the same boat here...The hard drive on our previous enhanced . 6 tuner box died and they sent us the AR362GA and there's so much less I can do with it.

1) It's a big chore to set up series recordings now as I have to find an actual occurrence of the program in the guide for the Record series option to be viewable. (Previous box I could search and it would show me all instances of that show, including upcoming airings...now search doesn't include upcoming live instances.

2) The clock is not visible when the DVR is on and there is no setting to adjust it.

3) Previous box allowed me to manage DVR through the watch.spectrum.net web interface which has easier search options. This box isn't manageable through the web interface.

I saw some boxes have a secret menu accessibly by pressing Menu twice, but that doesn't work with this box. (Was hoping an always on clock might be toggle-able in secret menu settings.

Anyhoo I feel I just took a huge step backwards in my cable TV experience with this brand new box. :/

Oct 16, 2021

1) It's a big chore to set up series recordings now as I have to find an actual occurrence of the program in the guide for the Record series option to be viewable. (Previous box I could search and it would show me all instances of that show, including upcoming airings...now search doesn't include upcoming live instances.

Can't you B-button search for the show or person that you are looking for and when that show is found in the search set that up as a series? Can you site some examples (with screenshots if you can) of live shows you can't find in the search?

There are some shows, like sporting events, that can't be set up as a series and must be set up individually. But that was the same with the old guide (ODN) as well.

Satch

Oct 16, 2021

For searching on the remote:

Old Remote - is "B" button

New World Box (No Clock) Remote - is "Magnifying Glass" button

Satch