Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Secondary DNS server

BRodBRod Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 1 in Home Networking Oct 01, 2021

I have the sac2v25 router. I cannot type in the same IP address for the primary and secondary DNS server.

I run a pi-hole ad blocker on my network so I point the router to the pi-hole as the primary DNS server. When the pi-hole blocks ads, the router thinks something is wrong so it falls back to the secondary DNS server which I have to leave blank, since it will not accept the same IP address for the primary and secondary DNS server. With the blank secondary DNS field, the router uses Spectrums default DNS server which of course does not block ads.

All routers I have ever used do not default to an unspecified DNS server when the primary DNS server fails. If the secondary DNS server is not specified, the router should not pick one on its own.

Is there a way to get the sac2v25 router to accept the same IP address for the primary and secondary DNS server entry fields?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 406 MOD
    Oct 02, 2021 Accepted Answer

Thank you for reaching out to us. I do not believe that there is a way to get the Primary and Secondary DNS fields on this particular router to accept the same address for both fields. I apologize for this. I can certainly pass along feedback that this is an option you would like to see enabled.

Thank you.

Paul_B

Replies

• BRodBRod Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 03, 2021

Yes, please pass along this feedback. Does Spectrum have other routers available that accept the same address for both fields?

Thanks

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 406 MOD
    Oct 07, 2021

I believe all of the routers that we have now are going to be this one or newer so I do not believe that we would. If this router is not meeting your needs, feature wise, it may be advantageous to get something with more management functions as this router is designed more for instances where more advanced functions may not be needed.