Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Browser "connection resets" on initially surfing to any site

mage0mage0 Posts: 4 ✭✭
in Connectivity Oct 09, 2021

I've continued to have sporadic issues with the browser reporting a connection reset when first navigating to a Web site. As I mentioned in April, this happens in multiple browsers (Edge, Firefox) on multiple Windows 10/11 boxes around the house (both wired and wireless).

All equipment has been power-cycled as a troubleshooting step. No improvement.

What other information do we need to troubleshoot this? Thanks, BGU

Replies

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 11 MOD
    Oct 09, 2021

Welcome back! Sorry to hear you are still having this problem.

Have you changed any DNS settings or are you set to acquire the DNS server automatically?

Are you using a Proxy or VPN?

Have you tried clearing your web browsers cookies and cache?

• mage0mage0 Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Oct 10, 2021

Well, this is happening on a clean install of Windows 11 (wired to the router via Ethernet), so there hasn't been a chance to build up any cookies or cache in MS Edge. The problem was immediate.

I haven't changed any DNS settings. I'm not using a proxy or VPN. Thanks for any suggestions..

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 11 MOD
    Oct 10, 2021

If you bypass the router by connecting a device straight to the modem with an ethernet cable do you have the same issue? You may need to reboot the modem after changing the cables.

Will you run a ping test to check for packet loss or high latency? You can do this by opening your command prompt by pressing Windows+R and typing in "cmd" in the run window. In the black window that opens type "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" and press enter. This will start a continuous ping test. Please let this run for a few minutes and then press Control+C to end the test and see your results.

• Bob_KBob_K Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 16, 2021

Spend some more time investigating the DNS server angle. I, too, have been having this problem for the last couple months. Spectrum customer rep was of no help. I finally changed the DNS servers from "Obtain...automatically" over to Google's DNS servers and the problem resolved immediately. The problem seemed to stay away even after switching back to "Obtain...automatically."

My conclusion is that there's something going on with Spectrum's DNS servers or with the server addresses not resolving properly at the router level or client level (i.e. the computer's network connection IPv4 properties).

See here for more:

https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/169666/are-spectrum-dns-servers-having-resolve-errors#latest