Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

DVR Recordings fragmented into multiple recordings for 1 show

samantc1samantc1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 9 in TV Equipment Oct 09, 2021

A weird issue has surfaced on both my DVRs. When I record a show, the recording is made but it is broken into multiple individual recordings. For example, a 2 hour movie may show as 8 or 10 different pieces of different seemingly random lengths. When you watch a piece, at the end it asks if you want to delete and watch the next one. Anyone run into this or have a fix?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    Oct 09, 2021

Hello,

Welcome to the community! Some questions:

1.) Did this just start?

2.) Does it happen with one show or series, or muliple shows and series?

3.) Does it happen on one channel or multiple channels?

Since this is happening on both DVR's, I would look at this as being a signal problem, or an issue with your drop line, and not a box problem. I would recommend contacting Spectrum with the answers to the above questions, and setting up a signal and drop line test for your home. Tune to the channels where the multiple recordings of the same show are occurring during your service call, so that the tech can take a signal reading.

Satch

• Rich44203Rich44203 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭
    Oct 10, 2021

Same here. It has happened on a local channel in Cleveland. And also, while recording a paranormal show on Trvl. Sometimes there is some slight pixelation in between the showings. Other times it looks very clear. Just fragmented into 3-4 recording for one show.

• samantc1samantc1 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited October 10 Oct 10, 2021

This just started occurring. It happened with multiple shows on different channels and I only have one DVR. Sorry I stated I had multiple DVRs on original pot.

Oct 10, 2021

Hello @Rich44203 and @samantc1 ,

In both cases, you will need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test for those channels. Tune to the channels in question when the tech is there to take a signal reading. New boxes won't fix this. Updated lines and wiring will resolve this.

Satch

Oct 14, 2021

So the tech came out today. Signal and drop line test all came back fine. Lately the DVR had been giving me the Spectrum TV not available screen. A reboot would allow the DVR to function. Often, the recordings would play the first 10 seconds, stop, and then go back to the TV not available screen. Several recordings the past week were split between 2-3 segments instead of 1. The tech replaced the box. This afternoon I recorded a simple Judge Judy program on Cleveland's Fox 8. It is split into 7 different segments for the 30 minute program. What do I do next?

edited October 14 Oct 14, 2021

@Rich44203,

I am stumped here. Especially if the tech said your signals and drop line were fine, and a new box is doing the same thing! Perhaps a mod will have some insight as to the next steps to take. Did the tech replace the box with the same make and model as the old box?.

A mod might ask you to direct message (DM) him/her to find out your city, state, and, zip. And than find out if there are support tickets opened for DVR boxes breaking up programs into segments. I know of one other instance where this was happening to a customer about two years ago, but I don't recall the solution. What is the make and model of your box? Are you running the new Spectrum Guide? If the box has no clock on it, it's a World Box and likely is running Spectrum Guide.

Try another half hour show to see if it breaks up on a different station other than Fox 8 to see if it breaks up. Than try another show that is an hour on a different station other than Fox 8 to see if it breaks up.

Next, try recording an a half hour show and an hour show on Fox 8 and see if they break up into seperate recordings, If only Fox 8 shows are being fragmented into seperate recordings, and the other shows are fine, there could be an issue with Fox 8's signal in your division and Spectrum would need to report this to your specific division, and get a ticket opened on this issue.

If shows are breaking up into multiple recordings on this make and model of box on all stations, the mod will be able to find out the type of box you have on the account and open a ticket for your area. Report back!

Satch

Oct 14, 2021

Yes. Same make and model as before. Technicolor 9865. Running the Spectrum Guide.

I'm adding the Cloud DVR for another 4.99. For now, that's the best option. Despite already paying for the regular DVR.

I'm going to try another couple recordings on channels this has happened on before. Trvl, and Fox 8 are the ones that come to mind.

Oct 14, 2021

... Make that 9.99 for the cloud DVR plus. At least I can watch recorded shows without the issue. And, try out the cloud DVR. I actually have the Stremium app which works really well with Spectrum and some free to air networks. But it doesn't allow recording on all channels. Specifically local channels.

Oct 14, 2021

@Rich44203,

In fact what is coming to mind is that this was a problem with the new Spectrum Guide on some channels. What is your zip code in Ohio? Normally, we only ask that to isolate problems. but I specifically recall that the tech replaced a Spectrum Guide box with the older ODN guide box and the duplicate recording segments went away. So this is not a new problem with Spectrum Guide. Keep us posted.

Satch

Oct 15, 2021

4 4 2 0 3. They scheduled another tech to come out on Sunday while I was ordering the cloud DVR. I guess not that many order the cloud while they are using the regular DVR as well. But for now, at least I can somewhat guarantee recordings will be available until the issue is resolved.

Oct 15, 2021

Rich,

If you have a camera, take pictures showing the breakup of recordings on Travel Channel and Fox 8 and show them to the tech so he can see the specific multiple recording screens of the same show. Save the photos for yourself and give him copies so that he can test those channels (Recordings of Travel Channel and Fox 8) in the lab in your division on another Cisco 9865 running Spectrum Guide. Even if you were to get another box with ODN, it sounds like that guide would be on borrowed time, because Spectrum is doing overnight updates to Spectrum Guide in a lot of markets.

It's good that you have cloud DVR to fall back on until this gets resolved! It would really be cool if you could get cloud DVR for free until this gets fixed! Thanks for the updates!

Satch

Oct 17, 2021

Problem solved on its own. No idea why... But I recorded over a dozen shows of various lengths across numerous problem channels. After that first recording on the new DVR also had this issue, not a single one after that did. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will remain fixed. Probably will still keep the cloud DVR to use on a Roku in the bedroom and garage.

Oct 18, 2021

@Rich44203,

Excellent! Sounds like this got through to the higher ups and is hopefully fixed! You might as well cancel that Sunday service call.

Satch