Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

DVR not allowing RESUME for recorded TV after turning off DVR

sprillsprill Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
in TV Equipment Oct 19, 2021

Up until a couple of weeks ago whenever I turned off the DVR and TV while watching a recorded show, by pressing the ON/OFF button on my remote, I would have the option to resume the show when I went back into it. It now only allows me to restart the show. I have an Arris DCX3520E DVR from Spectrum. If I select STOP instead of just turing off the DVR I get the resume option. However, I have been doing it for years by just turning off the DVR/TV with the remote ON/OFF button and now it does not work.

It appears that the DVR software was also updated a couple of weeks ago (coincidence??). When I called support they did a bunch of tests and are sending out service to replace the box. They do not think it has anything to do with a software change.

Is anyone else having this issue??

Thanks---

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19 Oct 19, 2021

Generally,

Phone support only knows how to do the basics:

1.) Reboot equipment

2.) Set up services calls

3.) Answer billing questions.

CSR phone reps are not techs. But show this loss of ability to continue DVR recordings when the box is powered off along with the TV to the service tech when he comes. I doubt that this is a box issue.,. This sounds like an issue with the new guide software. Techs can't replace buggy software. Furthermore, we only recommend box replacements as a last resort such as the following:

1.) You have DVR service, and the box is making a clicking sound. (Hard drive going bad.)

2.) Box is constantly rebooting.

3.) The problem is that you don't know the quality or condition of the box you are going to get in an exchange.

Pixilation issues are signal or line problems, that can only be resolved with a new drop line or wiring upgrade, not a box swap.

Best guess is that you were updated from the old software called ODN Navigator to the New Spectrum Guide.. Spectrum Guide is a new software and operating system. Having said that, my question to you is the following:

Have you completely recorded the show? If you have, you mean that there is no option to "Resume" or "Restart?" Can you post a screenshot of this? There should be a "Resume" option as well. Are you sure you are not talking about watching On Demand? If this is a DVR recording issue:

I think this sounds like a Spectrum Guide bug, and has nothing to do with your box.

Is anyone else having problems where the Spectrum Guide DVR is not resuming recorded shows after the TV/box is turned off?

Satch

• sprillsprill Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Oct 20, 2021

Satch,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Yes the shows are mostly all scheduled recordings and they are complete. If I turn off the DVR while watching a recorded show and then go back in later I get the option to "restart" but there is no option to "resume".

I don't think a screenshot would help because it would just show the option to "restart".

I can very easily reproduce this to show the servicman when he comes here on Friday. Support said that having service out was the next step in their process.

I agree with you that it is probably a bug in the DVR software. I am so used to just turning off the DVR (instead of using the "Stop" button on the remote) via the remotes "ON/OFF" button when I want to stop watching a recording. It would be really frustrating to turn off a recording 2 1/2 hours into a 3 hour movie and then have to fast forward for 2 1/2 hours when going back to watch the rest of it becuase "resume" is not an option.

Another issue that recently started. After I have watched at show and return the the DVR main menu that lists my recorded shows, the show that I was previously watching shows up, live, in the the little window in the upper right hand corner of the DVR menu like it always has. Previously, when I would press the "Exit" key on my remote it would return to that channel/show. It now, instead, goes to the channel for whatever show that I am recording at the time. Very strange.

edited October 20 Oct 20, 2021

I agree with you that it is probably a bug in the DVR software. I am so used to just turning off the DVR (instead of using the "Stop" button on the remote) via the remotes "ON/OFF" button when I want to stop watching a recording. It would be really frustrating to turn off a recording 2 1/2 hours into a 3 hour movie and then have to fast forward for 2 1/2 hours when going back to watch the rest of it because "resume" is not an option.

Thanks for the update,

Try something for the community so we can see if this is a bug or by design: (This is being reported on the New Spectrum Guide on an Arris 3600M box)

1.) Instead of turning off the DVR in the middle of the recording like you have been doing, press the stop button on your remote, and leave the DVR screen completely.

2.) With no menus showing, power off the TV and box, and wait for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

3.) Power on the TV and box, and go "My Library" (or just press DVR on your remote.) Now, go to that recording that you stopped and the screen you got out of completely a minute ago. Do you get a "Resume" option on that show? Or only restart?

If You get a resume option: It is by design that you will have to hit the stop button and exit the DVR screen to come back to your show without having to fast-forward to the spot you left off.

If you don't get a resume option after hitting the stop button, and leaving the DVR screen, this is a very bad design flaw and should be reported that they need to add the ability to resume DVR recordings not completed with a software update.

However, since most people stop their DVR's and leave all menu screens before powering off their systems, it is likely that few are going to notice the bug if stopping the DVR and leaving the DVR screen produces a resume show prompt.

A new box won't change this, but try to do a stop recording, and leaving the DVR menus. Power off for one minute and than come back to your show, just for reference.

Oh another question, did your Arris 3600 box update itself overnight to Spectrum Guide or did it come with Spectrum Guide already on it? I think you said a couple weeks ago you had the old guide on it, and were able to resume DVR content by turning off the box and than turning it on, but just want to make sure.

Satch

edited October 20 Oct 20, 2021

Update: Time ran out before I could edit the above post. I have done a further review of your situation, @sprill

It appears that by design of the new guide that in order to resume DVR playback you must hit the stop button on your remote and leave the DVR screen. If you power off the box, mid-playback, your only option will be to restart playback.

Unfortunately, since most people stop playback of DVR'ed shows when done, they never encounter this flaw. I would recommend cancelling your service call, because there is nothing that the service man is going to be able to do. You could get a box with the old guide, but that old guide could be changed overnight to the new guide, and you will be back to square one. You could reboot your box, but I don't think that is going to make a difference.

The best option would be to request feedback, that you would like a software update to the New Spectrum Guide, that allows for resuming of DVR recordings if the box is turned off mid-playback without hitting the stop button. instead of a restart recording being your only option.

I understand your concerns. Many like the old guide better!

Satch

• sprillsprill Posts: 6 ✭✭✭
    Oct 20, 2021

Satch,

Thanks again for a detailed response. Yes, I get the "resume" option if I press "STOP" while watching a recording. Like I stated in previous response I am used to just turning off the DVR instead of using the "STOP" button on the remote.

I am not sure what you mean by old/new guide. The guide that I have is the same one that I have had since I have been with Spectrum with some minor changes. For instance, I noticed that "History" is no longer an option. It was the last option listed under the "Recordings", "Scheduled" and "Series Priority" options on the left side of the "My DVR" screen.

Oct 20, 2021

To find your Guide,

Google Search, "What Guide do I have?, Spectrum" One of the top results will be were you can enter your address information and it will show you the list of guides. You have all the charactorisits of the New Spectrum Guide. with gradually updates to the interface rolled out.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.